• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Aileron Horn Problems.

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
B Sharp

Re: Aileron Horn Problems.

Post by B Sharp »

Right gents – the results!.

I inserted thick slow set cyano in each side of the horn hole and attached a new clevis to the horn. I had taken the additional precaution of squirting the clevis with household furniture polish. This was allowed to set for about an hour and a half. When I returned to the wing the clevis broke away readily and I refitted the clevis attached to the pushrod. There was appreciable less slop in the aileron but the clevis appeared to be solid on the horn with no movement showing.
I did noticed that there was a little rocking movement where the clevis was screwed onto the pushrod so I applied a drop of cyano there as well. When this had set I waggled the aileron once more and although there is still a very slight movement it is restricted to just under 1mm rather than the original 5 or 6mm.
I regard this as a definite success The second wing is now sitting with its horn being glued up at the moment.

Thank you once again for your help and opinions gents – I has been much appreciated.

Brian. :) :) :)
Attachments
Spare clevis glued to the horn.
Spare clevis glued to the horn.
The finished job with little or no slop.
The finished job with little or no slop.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

B Sharp wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 12:26 Right gents – the results!.

'.............I did noticed that there was a little rocking movement where the clevis was screwed onto the pushrod so I applied a drop of cyano there as well.......'

Brian. :) :) :)
Brian, do you not use lock nuts on the pushrod behind the clevis?
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Yes, I usually do Robbie, however the clevises have been adjusted several times over the lifetime of the model and the locknuts are now loose. The pushrods come through a small hole and the nuts are inaccessible to tighten them up.
Brian.