• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Mountain Flying - Lake District

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
chris williams

Re: Mountain Flying - Lake District

Post by chris williams »

Very inspiring, Roger, and I promise I will never complain about White Sheet's NE slope ever again...!
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Cheers Chris.

To be honest it wasn't what I'd hoped for - the forecast had conjured up dreams of warm sunshine beating down from a cumulus-flecked blue sky, and me striding the entire 5km length of the summit ridge with my Ka6 circling obediently above me. Instead it was a drab day and I got chased half-way down a mountain by low cloud. But you make the best of what you get.

If anyone fancies slope-soaring in the lakes and wants help planning a route based on a given wind direction, I can heartily recommend this walking website. Just tap in the name of any of the major mountains in the Lakes into the "Walk-finder" and click on one of the recommended routes.
https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walks.html

It gives you a walking route which you could choose to follow (it tells you typical distance and height climb), but best of all, most walks include some fantastic 3D maps (either contour or aerial photo) which allow you to "fly" around the ridges and valleys and spot likely places to launch/land.

I've spent many happy hours tilting/panning and zooming around these 3D maps, and sketching out possible routes around the Lakes. It means when you walk up the hill you pretty much know exactly what to expect. You also get a weird feeling of deja vu.

But it doesn't warn you if the top of the hill is buried in cloud. ;)
Attachments
3D contour.JPG
3D Photo.JPG
Ray_Eggleston

Post by Ray_Eggleston »

Well done Roger. I admire your tenacity!
Also it’s nice to see someone else apart from myself who still flys with a Multiplex Royal Evo on 35megs !

Ray E
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Ray_Eggleston wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 11:11
Also it’s nice to see someone else apart from myself who still flys with a Multiplex Royal Evo on 35megs !

Ray E
Crikey Ray…I assumed I was the last one! :D Trouble is, it’s just so reliable that I can’t be bothered to switch to 2.4G. Mind you, I wouldn’t miss the 3ft of aerial when negotiating stiles.