• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Airfoil choice

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Antonia

Re: Airfoil choice

Post by Antonia »

Thanks John, that would save a lot of head scratching for sure. Thanks for your reply Roo, if you could let me know your thicknesses at what station that would be great :)
LarsWikstrom

Post by LarsWikstrom »

I have seen some post with someone tuning what can be likened a cnc wire cutter. Something like that would enable a change in cord along the wing. Just an idea. ;)
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hi Lars, the wing cores are certainly going to be a challenge, I have a couple of ideas rattling around in my head ;)

This is a coming closer to retirement project to ward off the ”biscuit crumbs and dribbling from the corner of my mouth moments” :lol: :lol:

I have an inquiry with someone who has a CNC hotwire cutter, just waiting for them to comeback to me to discuss further, failing that I’ll knock up a gravity feed system with a shed load of templates.
LarsWikstrom

Post by LarsWikstrom »

That sounds great and very interesting to follow.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Hi had a look at my templates. Most of the wings is hq 2.5 12 the last 3 ft going to hq 2.5 10 . root for about 8in in has a modified section that is thicker for the wing joiner. The full size is the same I think.that's a 7 meter span The ritzy is to old school it's ok for a 4 meter glider with foam veneer or built up wing where you need a thickness for strength. It's a bit draggy compered to hq.. on my vintage gliders I use hq 3 .hqw.2.5 12 is the best foil I have found for glass gliders.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

The new 1/4 scale PT Salto wing uses HQW2.5/12 & seems to fly well according to Cliff.
Presumably he aerobated it as well as general flying at Sandhays.