• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Simon WS

Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Post by Simon WS »

I spent yesterday driving down to Dorset to pick up one of only 4 prototypes Purbeck Sailplanes made of the DG800 in third scale. Even went on a ferry and through Sandbanks (very posh but terrible traffic!).
IMG_0530_zpsg1lvz1pe.jpg
The Purbeck DG800 never made it into production so I feel honoured to be one of the four owners of the prototypes and I hope to be the first to get one flying (there's a challenge for you Terry who is way ahead of me!) It's not a kit as such as there is a lot more work to do (mainly on the wings and tailplane) but the basics are typically "Purbeck Superb" and very strong. Some things I have never done before and are slightly concerning (like cutting the V grooves for the live peel ply hinges) but Terry is on hand with guidance so I should be OK.

I will probably start with the fuselage as it is the most complete and hopefully will give me some scalie-instant-gratification (although don't expect Antonia levels of scale detail here!)

Safely home after 6 1/2 hours of driving and looking pretty pleased with myself!
IMG_0533_zpsn6a44ehm.jpg

Simon
Last edited by Simon WS on 19 Feb 2018, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Barry_Cole

Re: Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Post by Barry_Cole »

So we will hopefully see you at MW next year then.???

Good luck with the build.

:D :D :D :D

BC
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Hi Simon good look with your new build. Are you hoping to get it finished this year? Hopeing to get my own finished soon. ROO :D
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Thanks for the comments. Answers as follows - will come to MW meetings as a spectator, it is much smaller than my 40% job and no chance of finishing it this year! There's actually a lot of work to do so I think spring 2017 is a reasonable goal...

Si
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

I've done lots of thinking and musing but not too much action so far. I'm hoping to recycle a chunk of bits from the destroyed ASG29 like servos, some of the wiring looms, gas strut for the canopy etc. This will impact some things already done by Terry/Rick but I hope they don't mind because when they designed the servo layout (15 years ago?!) they didn't have the high voltage, high torque servos available then. Consequently, as I want to run throughout on high voltage powerful servos I have removed the small 4.8V servos that had been fitted for the rudder and elevator and will be fitting Hitec 7245 coreless with 7.4 Kg-cm which should be plenty. I'm basically going to copy the electrical layout of the CARF DG800 which is said to be undestroyable in the air so will be using my ex-ASG Hitec 13 Kg-cm servos in the wings.

Antonia kindly sent me a small cross sectional view of the DG fuselage so I scaled it up on Photoshop and printed it out so I can start making the pan for the pilot. Pilot has been ordered from Wilson so hopefully he will have somewhere to sit when he arrives. Talking of pilots, my ex-ASG 40% keeps being arranged in compromising positions by my wife so when I get home from work I have a new surprise each day! I would post photographs but I suspect the forum would get taken down if I did!

Toodle Pip!

Simon
Last edited by Simon WS on 19 Feb 2018, 17:44, edited 5 times in total.
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Posting pointless courtesy of Photobucket!
Last edited by Simon WS on 22 Mar 2018, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Simon,after the big disappointment on the loss of your ASG 29 It is so good to see you back in the saddle with the DG800 build, it looks as if you are really going to town with it.

Yes it was 16-17 years ago that we created the DG 800 prototypes. (I reckon the epoxy must be cured by now!!)
Three in number were made, the 1st for Mr Simon Cocker to build and review in RCME. He did some pre-build writings of it which were very favorable.His kit has now found its way to Matt (black Spider) in Walsall, who like us is building his over the winter period. 2nd out was mine, the finish build is a little further advanced then yours but not by much, and the 3rd out was for son Rick which has now become yours.

Like the Purbeck prototype ASW27s and the Fox's (which you and Eric Friend now own) no expense was spared in the layups of the wings or fuselage. If during your build you require details of what is going on inside I will be pleased to help.

Simon said:-
Talking of pilots, my ex-ASG 40% keeps being arranged in compromising positions by my wife so when I get home from work I have a new surprise each day! I would post photographs but I suspect the forum would get taken down if I did!

Is she perhaps trying to tell you something Simon?? :lol: Good luck with your build. Regards Terry.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Talking of pilots, my ex-ASG 40% keeps being arranged in compromising positions by my wife so when I get home from work I have a new surprise each day! I would post photographs but I suspect the forum would get taken down if I did!

Oh, go on, give it a try....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

I'm feeling a bit left out.
I've got three pilots sitting in a row in an armchair in our spare room but they sit there day after day in entirely innocent positions, just like the three monkeys.
I'll have to get Simon's wife to have a chat with my wife to make their lives, and maybe mine, a bit more interesting!
Hopefully when I go to Simon's house tomorrow, I'll get a private viewing of his wife's handiwork. :o :lol:
terry white

Post by terry white »

Eric you are suppose to be going to look at the DG800 !!! Ter.