World Models 1/3 scale Super Cub

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jolly Roger

Re: World Models 1/3 scale Super Cub

Post by Jolly Roger » 28 Apr 2017, 06:41

Philkiteflyer wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:It seems yellow Cubs never go out of fashion!

I think that's the Hangar 9, 1/4 scale Cub from about 10 years ago. quote]

Nope, its a cheap World Models one. Though it has a quality power system, the model is stock standard. http://www.singahobby.com/index.php/wor ... 3-cub.html

Ooo I like the blue one. :mrgreen:

Phillip C
Sorry my mistake. That price you've shown is a bargain. Even at £380 (UK price) many people consider it a good deal. http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pi ... a=Aircraft

At about 15lbs weight that should tow 4m gliders nicely on 8s.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » 10 May 2017, 16:22

Perfect weather, full set of charged batteries, no more excuses...

And what a waste of good adrenalin - it's the easiest plane I've every flown. It so slow it's ridiculous, bimbling past on half throttle accompanied by a lovely whoosh from the prop. It does have the Cub-swing on take off, but it's s-l-o-w, gentle and easily corrected with rudder, and landings are easy-peasy, even for me (I'm quite new to power-flying).

I'm delighted with the electric powertrain, especially because it's cheap as chips. Assuming the motor doesn't start throwing magnets and the ESC lose smoke, I think this is a practical and excellent value set-up. It gives very realistic scale speed and power - just what I was after.

Rough costs: motor and ESC £65 each from HobbyKing, set of LiPos £40 (on special from Robotbirds). Total ~£170 + p&p. OK, so that's quite a few bags of chips, but still.

Duration? Recharging the batteries showed it takes 360mAh per min of mixed flying, so keeping to the "only use 80% of your nominal battery capacity" rule, I should get safe 10 minute flights and still give my batteries an easy life. Motor, ESC and batteries are handshake temperature at the end of the flight. I've had 6 flights today, each one longer than the last.

One last thing. I've been flying from the rough pasture next to our house and was worried it would be too rough and would rip off the U/C. In fact it's been absolutely fine; I think the soft 8" wheels are doing a fab job absorbing the bumps, and with a bit flap, encounters with Planet Earth are tender affairs.

So yes, happy bunny here.

Almost forgot to say - thanks to my dad for the photos (and for buying me a Cambria Capstan in 1981!)
Attachments
cliff hanger.jpg
finals.jpg
finals 2.jpg
captain smug.jpg

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp » 10 May 2017, 17:37

Nice Rog. It's a pity we didn't meet up at Eden Valley.
Brian.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » 10 May 2017, 19:55

B Sharp wrote:Nice Rog. It's a pity we didn't meet up at Eden Valley.
Brian.
I agree - wasn't back driving, sadly. When is the next Eden Valley get together?

Simon WS

Post by Simon WS » 11 May 2017, 05:30

Very nice Roger. Looks like you live in a lovely spot too. I keep thinking I must get out of the over crowded south east.....

Simon

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » 22 Feb 2019, 23:02

Just a quick update nearly 2 years on...

Q. So how is the cheapo motor/ESC/battery combo from Hobby King doing in my 1/3 scale Super Cub?

A. Wonderfully!

I had my 50th flight this afternoon and no problems. The batteries are still delivering 10 mins of mixed flying, the motor hasn't made any awful grinding noises, the ESC hasn't puffed a whiff of smoke and the airframe is standing up manfully to the rigours of several hasty put-downs on rough pasture. I keep trying to do dramatically steep full-flap spot-landings, inspired by YouTube bush pilots, but basically haven't developed enough skill yet! Those squishy 8" tyres cover a multitude of landing sins.

One more thing - got to fit a pilot! Hoping to sculpt my own when time permits.

Here's a still snatched from my video this afternoon. Gusty breeze threw up major turbulence from the cliff, so called it a day after the first few flights. Looking forward to those balmy Summer evenings.
Attachments
No pilot..JPG