• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Paint underside of wing

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
B Sharp

Re: Paint underside of wing

Post by B Sharp »

A second thought on fitting strobing lights. If we all fitted them it would create another problem. We still wouldn't be able to I.D. our own aircraft as the sky would be filled with flashing lights.
Brian. :( :D :( :D
GordonT

Post by GordonT »

There's a few options here https://www.banggood.com/search/strobe.html - prices are reasonable and delivery is usually within a couple of weeks - I've never had a problem ordering from Banggood.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

B Sharp wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 11:17 A second thought on fitting strobing lights. If we all fitted them it would create another problem. We still wouldn't be able to I.D. our own aircraft as the sky would be filled with flashing lights.
Brian. :( :D :( :D
I remember the days when most of my Sunday mornings were a bit like that............
Philkiteflyer

Post by Philkiteflyer »

IMHO - a scale glider is to be scale coloured and when flown to be observed doing scale things. This means keeping it closer than some appear to do here. This range depends on the size, ie my DG300 is 4m span, currently a white scheme (soon to be modified) so 4-500 meters would be my limit. However, a 50% KA-6 could range double that and be perfectly visible. I agree with with B Sharp, if you can't see it whats the point.

Now comes my other thought for those who do like height/distance. I have been reading some very interesting articles in recent RCM&E magazines about flight controllers for fixed wing aircraft. And purely for safety of the model and 'landing site' maybe a controller with "Return to Base' option would be a safer way of getting the glider back into visible range and then taking back control for the rest of your flight?

But failing that, I am firmly in the black/dark strips on the white wing camp for visibilty.

My 2 cents
Regards all,
Phillip C
NZ
"Keep it simple stupid"
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Steve Spittle.
I know you have been playing with flight controllers to bring back home a model that has been "lost". Can you share your thoughts and experiences please.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I once launched a KK Senator rubber powered model into low cloud/mist on a flat calm day. My pal and I listned to it as it clattered round in the mist for a minute or so before the rubber ran out, then silence. I remember we stared at the base of the murk for ages waiting in vain for it to reappear. After five or so minutes we turned round to find the model sitting happily in the grass a few yards behind us. True "return to base" performance from a free flight model!
Brian.