• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Just in case...

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Elliot Howells

Just in case...

Post by Elliot Howells »

Fed up of always taking tugs out flying, I decided to retrofit a tow release to my 60cc Yak55m, which is really an out and out aerobat, but flies so well I want the option to muck about as well as aerotow.

I did it this way, just wondered what the concensus was regarding my methods, I though I was being a bit clever...

Cheers, Ell.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
barry h

Re: Just in case...

Post by barry h »

Hi Elliot
Looks fine to me.
I am planning to do something similar on my 100cc CARF Yak 55

Barry
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Hi,

I fitted a tow release to my 50cc Wild Hare Edge 540T some years ago so I could tow my Glider loving friend into the clouds.
I used two servos mounted above the wing joiner tube fitted to a simple tow release each side of the canopy. I made up a length of cord with a small ring at each release end to form a "V" lead to which a conventional tow line was fitted. It worked well, and the plane flew well towing up 4 metre sailplanes with little trouble. I can take some photos if my description doesn't make sense as I regularly fly the plane but not usually for towing.

Little did I know this favour would lead me into an obsession with gliding. I've been sloping three times already this week and it's only Thursday. I will be tugging on Monday at Camphill (30% Wilga) as well as taking a spell thermalling from the other end of the tow line.

So take care it's addictive, but you allready know that...

John
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Hi,
I've been out flying my Edge today so I took a couple of photos of my tow release. I've also been thinking about the suitability of this type of model as a tug. Here are some thoughts, for what they are worth.

On the positive side they have low wing loading and slow speed manouverability with low stall speed, coupled with good power to weight ratio these are essential atributes of a good tug.

Some of the latest laser cut ARTF's can be a little fragile for tuging. They are designed to be light for 3D and IMAC flying. Some reinforcement will be necessary to support the tow release, and you will need to find a position for the release avoiding the canopy. My old Edge is old school with foam wings and ply box structure fus. Even so I couldn't put the tow release in the conventional place due to the large removable canopy, so I added some strengthening to a tow point which actualy turned out to be very good since it is quite low, almost on the centre line and close to the C of G.

Other points to look out for: robust undercarriage. Most tug maintenence seems to revolve around the undercarriage. I have strengthened this area. "Hooks" around the tail area which could snag the released tow line: Most of these IMAC type models will have balenced elevator and rudder, external servos, and a scale steerable tail wheel. All potental snag points. I added fin-to-tailplane struts to deflect the tow rope to redude this risk.

All in all I learn't to tow with the Edge eventually moving on to bigger, more conventional tugs. She flew well today!

Cheers,

John
(I have a very short video of the release working if someone can tell me how to attach it)
Attachments
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1378.JPG