• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Advice - TUG lines

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Rocket_ric

Advice - TUG lines

Post by Rocket_ric »

hi all

my jodel robin is nearly ready for testing rx arrived today just nee to install tug point

would like to know what the min and max to line length are? i have picked up a 50m line

where to have a in-line chute as apart of it or just tie a bright coloured cloth

would like to have inline chute so i can see the end where do i get one or make one?
Barry_Cole

Re: Advice - TUG lines

Post by Barry_Cole »

Rick,

30-40 Mtrs is a normal line length, I use 30Mtrs. We used to be able to buy parachutes for the lines, but the guy has stopped making them. You can make a nice flag out of a piece of Rip Stop Nylon from a kite shop or supplier. PLEASE do not use lady's knickers, it is childish, and just not right.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
Rocket_ric

Post by Rocket_ric »

there's is this
http://www.hobbyclub.com/index.php?main ... a6ace59a98

and gliders do a parachute
Rocket_ric

Post by Rocket_ric »

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Yes, either of those might do.

:D :D :D :D

BC
Rocket_ric

Post by Rocket_ric »

at buckminster event i saw a line with a conical shaped at one end what is that called

and if possible i can get some rip stop nylon i would line to have a go at making a protoype
Rocket_ric

Post by Rocket_ric »

found this

https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products. ... ag-pennant

which i can make for 6£
Tonyh

Post by Tonyh »

£10 you could get 6 thongs for that!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
just make sure that when you fit the pendent that it is far enough up the line that if you get a hang-up that you can see it behind the glider and not trashing the glider .
T.
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

Richard

The line you saw me using at Buckminster was a 36mtr length of builders twine from Jewsons, comes ready at that length and is perfect for all sizes of gliders. Generally speaking a 25 to 30mtr length is perfect for most gliders but the bigger stuff usually tows nicer behind a longer length. I use a cheap thong on the end of the line ( much to Barry Cole's disgust ) from Primark or similar, tie it around 15ft from the end of the line so that it can easily be seen both behind the tug and if the glider end up coming back with the line ( as Tony H has said above ). At the glider end of the line I use a heavy duty fishing clip that locks and has a built in swivel, the glider tow loop easily clips into this and stays secure.

Pat

(Editor's note:- I am singular....)
Rocket_ric

Post by Rocket_ric »

Pat Marsden wrote: 25 May 2018, 06:48 Richard

The line you saw me using at Buckminster was a 36mtr length of builders twine from Jewsons, comes ready at that length and is perfect for all sizes of gliders. Generally speaking a 25 to 30mtr length is perfect for most gliders but the bigger stuff usually tows nicer behind a longer length. I use a cheap thong on the end of the line ( much to Barry Cole's disgust ) from Primark or similar, tie it around 15ft from the end of the line so that it can easily be seen both behind the tug and if the glider end up coming back with the line ( as Tony H has said above ). At the glider end of the line I use a heavy duty fishing clip that locks and has a built in swivel, the glider tow loop easily clips into this and stays secure.

Pat

(Editor's note:- I am singular....)
Thanks Pat

I bought a 50m cone of braided builders line from Lidl, I will be off to the local tackle shop, for the short term I will make a tie on pennant, but I'll make an inline conical or small chute at a later date.

My final line will be 40m