• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

When to drop flaps for landing?

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Jolly Roger

When to drop flaps for landing?

Post by Jolly Roger »

I've had a hoot tonight doing endless short take-off and landings with my 1/3 Cub, exploring the effect of flap/power settings.

Question is, at what point in the landing circuit do you drop the flaps? I've got 2 stage flaps, so go 1/2 flap on the downwind leg, then drop to full on base leg, so I've got the feel of full flap before turning onto finals. What do others do? I've taught myself to fly power so don't know all the conventions.

All thoughts appreciated.
:)
Attachments
Flap landing 2.JPG
Barry_Cole

Re: When to drop flaps for landing?

Post by Barry_Cole »

I like the registration...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

When I can be bothered to use the flaps on my Greenly tugs they are deployed straight after the glider is released and act as dive brakes during the descent as well. I do occasionally deploy them when doing circuits as you describe and put them down on the downwind leg so the model is good and settled before the final turns
Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Pat Marsden wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 06:56 When I can be bothered to use the flaps on my Greenly tugs they are deployed straight after the glider is released and act as dive brakes during the descent as well. I do occasionally deploy them when doing circuits as you describe and put them down on the downwind leg so the model is good and settled before the final turns
We do much the same with our Greenley. When the glider is released, the glider turns right, tug turns left,power down , point at the ground ,and deploy flaps. Then control height with the throttle and float in to land.
Stu
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Thanks for the replies folks, especially Stu's useful reminder to use throttle to control descent. I'm still fighting that instinct to fly it in on elevator but get it right about 1 in 3 landings.
Attachments
Happy landing 1.JPG
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Hiya Rog!

on my wilgas, I too used the flaps (as much as poss) as dive brakes, and amazingly effective they were too. I like having to drag the model in on partial throttle, plenty of control with little airspeed.

Ell :)
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Hey Ell! Good to hear from you.

Yes I've been surprised (OK, caught out...) by how much throttle you need to keep the Cub moving forwards when the flaps are down. Alternatively I can cut the throttle and dive suicidally at the ground and it still comes down as slow as a crisp packet. Loads of fun.

I'm also practicing doing up-hill landings (guess who's been watching videos of Super Cubs landing on Alaskan mountainsides...) because our field has a gentle valley at one end. Not sure how long the cheap landing gear will stand up to this shenanigans. May need to buy/fabricate a proppa sprung one.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Rog