• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Simon WS

Re: Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Post by Simon WS »

Warm weather has made the frame fit perfectly now, so onwards and upwards!

One of the things I really wanted to make was a scale type canopy hinge but it is seriously difficult because the there is so little room in the nose.
I decided it might be sensible to make the hinge mount in 2 pieces and as I don't have milling equipment I had to make it in a Heath-Robinson style by cutting up bits of aluminium box section. I ended up with this - which JUST fits into the nose.

The next much more difficult bit was to get the geometry of the mounting arm correct - it took lots of iterations! This photo also shows the two piece mount separated.

Then I cobbled up some trial mounting points for the gas strut - I wanted to make it have positive closing force but then obviously positive force to open the canopy when moved past the closed position - not difficult by playing around with the geometry until it's right.

Clearly I wanted the final part to look nicer than that and be strong so I laminated up 3 sheets of 200 g/m2 carbon cloth and pressed them between 2 flat surfaces.

To make a nice strong glossy carbon sheet to cut the parts from

Then I cut the parts and ran lots of carbon tows around the carbon sides and brass pivot tube.

All installed and it actually works! Only time will tell the longevity and it is a devil of a job to screw the two hinge mount parts together (one is obviously glued into the nose). Therefore I hope that I'll never have to separate them again...

Next I'll need to start spraying some parts - particularly the frame so that I can mount the canopy glass to it.

Getting there slowly...

Simon
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Simon,
Make sure that however you are going to store the glider. (It will spend most of it's life there), that the gas strut has the rod at the bottom. They have oil in them to keep the seal lubricated and help stop the gas leaking out.

:D :D :D :D

BC
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

Lovely work Simon! Keep going......
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Put strips of cling film around canopy frame before gluing - just as well I did as it definitely would have stuck!

This is the glue I'm using - I believe all advertising and it says it "Stix All" so it must be good right? (it does actually seem very good..)

Glue applied to canopy frame and canopy carefully put into position. I find putting little making tape "handles" helps to pull it apart and lift it minimising glue smear.

After glue set - voila - Huzzah it fits well and closes easily!

Meanwhile, tailplane, rudder and airbrake caps primed and painted - just the fuselage and wing servo covers left to paint now...

Si
terry white

Post by terry white »

Simon, Not just a good job;but a super job. That canopy fit is awesome. This is going to be one superb DG800.
Cant wait to see it in the flesh. Ter.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

There's nothing quite so satisfying as canopy that fits...! (So they tell me)
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

chris williams wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 18:05 There's nothing quite so satisfying as canopy that fits...! (So they tell me)
Simon, superb work. We used to have a struggle with the fit of our full size DG canopy. It was a right b****r to close, especially when warm.
Regards John.
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

So, how was the canopy glue ?
Has it created a good bond and did it dry clear ?
Please do tell.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Yes it was really good John. It dries clear and remains a bit flexible and fills gaps well. I'm just hoping it doesn't contain any silicon which I guess I will find out when I paint the surround. Obviously I'll clean it with pre-paint but silicon is very difficult to get rid of in my experience and paint really doesn't like it!

Simon
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

I wasn't sure whether to post tonight before the epoxy sets or (hopefully) do a big reveal when this next step worked - there is a chance that it will go wrong and I'll have glued everything together but I thought you may as well "enjoy" the tension with me!...

I wanted to add a step in the seat sort of like full size but when I made the seat bucket last time (now in Paul's DG800) I made it exactly to scale with the pilot virtually sitting on the bottom of the fuselage but when I did that the third scale pilot looked lost so I had to modify it.
This time I thought I might as use the shallow seat bucket that I cut out of the canopy surround and lengthen and deepen it - hence the plywood stand offs to get the height I want (and leave handy room for batteries and the 5 Kg of nose weight it looks like it'll need!)..

Hours of thinking about it came up with this simple solution - I cut out a beer carton the same shape as the fuselage opening, covered it in tape to stop glass/epoxy sticking to it, made "sides" the same way and thus formed a simple mould on which to lay glass.

This is what it looks like from above

Then I made little balsa "fences" that the new moulding can sit against when assembled.

A few layers of glass added around the seat tub and the fences and then strips of myler inserted between the two to HOPEFULLY stop them sticking together.

All will be revealed tomorrow!