• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Let us all watch your new project progress.
roo Hawkins

Re: Purbeck 1/3rd Scale DG800 Build Thread

Post by roo Hawkins »

Looking good simon. My 1/3 scale dg800 works out at just over 14kg and I put about 2kg of lead in it .
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

I think Paul said his was about 14.5 Kg so hopefully I'll be in the ballpark with you guys if I don't have to put too much nose weight in.

Simon
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Simon,
Rick and I always envisaged that the DG 800 would perform at its best at around 15kg plus on the slope, in a medium blow due to the wing plan form giving it a large amount of wing area. (Check it out from the pic by your fence). So I would say you are smack on track pre nose weight at around 12kg + It May even need ballast on the C.G.later (knowing how you would like it to perform :roll:) . Both Paul and I fly with 1klg of ballast placed on the C.G.of our Salto's to get them to penetrate through the aerobatic maneuvers.

It appeared to me (after watching Paul's vid over and over again) that after racing across the slope when it was turned into wind lost too much of its momentum.
This is not a criticism by any means, It was after all the models maiden flight and Paul has yet to get used to its handling. Simon C told me they both were flying it with a considerable amount of up elevator the whole time because of a too forward C.G.which I am sure had a lot to do with it. However from the discussions I have had with Paul and Simon together with the short video they produced it seemed to show that more weight could easily be carried with no ill effect.

Your model looks just stunning Si. Please invite me to the maiden,Regards Terry

P.S. I just new you would strip and respray that wing,I just new it, wish I had,had a bet on it. :lol:

P.P.S. Simon Cocker will be writing about the said maiden flight in the next issue of R.C.M.E.
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Thanks Terry. Sure I'll invite you to the maiden but it's a long way for you and would probably be at short notice due to wind conditions etc.

Should I be aiming at balancing her on the joiner as a starting point? I need to work out how much lead I need to order...

Si
terry white

Post by terry white »

Yes Simon, we placed the wing joiner where we expected the C.G. to come.Which on that chosen section was also at the maximum wing thickness. This allowed us to get the correct dihedral to the wings with a straight joiner bar.
I discussed this with Paul when he started balancing his and as we've noted it was a little nose heavy. Whether he added a little extra weight to be sure that it was not going to be tail heavy Im not sure.We will have to wait until he gets back from Vegas I suppose.(If he ever comes back that is,he said that when he has his substantial win he is going to settle in Beverly Hills. Paul the new Beverly Hillbilly. said he was going to fly from the Hollywood sign. :lol: :lol:) Ter.
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

Simon WS wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 10:31 Thanks Terry. Sure I'll invite you to the maiden but it's a long way for you and would probably be at short notice due to wind conditions etc.

Should I be aiming at balancing her on the joiner as a starting point? I need to work out how much lead I need to order...

Si
Hi Si , I've got a shed load ,let me know how much you might need and I'll take it to Wallop if you can get it back
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

That's very kind Geoff but I have ordered it from eBay now...

Simon
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Hi Si , I've got a shed load ,let me know how much you might need and I'll take it to Wallop if you can get it back
[/quote]

Hi Geoff

If you have some spare I would like some. I always seem to be looking for lead in my kit to put in peoples planes when I test fly them and I am sure my next model will need some.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

john greenfield wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 09:03 Hi Si , I've got a shed load ,let me know how much you might need and I'll take it to Wallop if you can get it back
Hi Geoff

If you have some spare I would like some. I always seem to be looking for lead in my kit to put in peoples planes when I test fly them and I am sure my next model will need some.

AEB
[/quote]

No problem ok
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Sorry I didn't make Middle Wallop today, but I put the time to good use - it's finished! (except for decals and final set up).

I had managed to convince myself that I was going to need over 3Kg of lead in the nose, so I bought 2Kg (cos I'm tight) and stuck a bolt in before I put the lead shot in each of the nose cheeks, so that I could then tune it by bolting slabs of church roof in.

So then I filled the gap between bulkheads I'd glued in to contain the lead..

Then I filled it up with resin and was about to do the other side....

When I thought it might not be a bad idea to actually check the cg and holy S$%t I only need another 500g! (note to self: should have checked this first so that I could have put less in both sides!!...)

Anyway, this is all it needed to balance on the joiner - if I need to take any out I'll have to start doing that horrible job of chipping out the shot. I reckon I stand no chance of getting the bolt out now either without damaging something. Sigh....

Anyway, I hope you all had a lovely time at Middle Wallop - it was certainly a lovely sunny day here.

Waiting for a nice South Westerly for the maiden now

Si