• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Jilles Smits ASW 15

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Chris Bowles

Jilles Smits ASW 15

Post by Chris Bowles »

Something to keep me busy during the winter months, have done the easy bit first, thanks Cliff all the bits fitted, now the fun starts planking
Attachments
20181010_134439.jpg
Chris Bowles

Re: Jilles Smits ASW 15

Post by Chris Bowles »

Well the planking went quite well, suprised that it took 10, 36×4 balsa sheets, just a bit more sanding & filling, fitted hardwood planking around the retract opening, to give the hinges something extra to bond to, also infilled the front keel section with ply, before planking, a bit strengh when slope soaring, also will be glassing the inside cockpit area
Attachments
20181026_100809.jpg
20181026_100844.jpg
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

That's looking good Chris. Will I see it at Eden Valley next year?
Brian :)
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Thanks Brian, yes that is the plan, just need Euan to post the dates so we can organize a trip, off now to do some more sanding
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Lovely sleek fuselage. Good to see a plastic glider modelled in wood so successfully
Paul Chisholm

Post by Paul Chisholm »

Hi Guys am about to start to do my ASW 15 short kit to Jilles plans currently trying to decide wing construction method. Am thinking of vac bag carbon over foam cut cores. Thoughts? :roll: Hi Brian Sharp just a note to advise will be back in the UK June July next year hope to catch up with friends on the slope while there
regards
Paul Chisholm
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

My plans for the wings differ from the original, first I am going to make the wing in 4 sections, easier to transport, 2nd going to cover the foam core, with glasscloth and obechi, want to finish the fuz first before I start on the wings
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Chris, you may find it difficult to resource obechi of that size in this country now as I believe it has become unavailable to the saw mills throughout the world. Best bet is Germany but due to its package size is very expensive to ship.
I still have limited amounts of 1.2 and 1.6mm thickness in some length sizes if it helps, alternatively you could speak to Roo on this forum as he uses a British alternative very successfully. Ter
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Hi Terry, thanks for the offer, but I have stock, back in the dark ages, obechi was never easy to find in long wide lengths, so when I found some bought quite a lot, so have enough to do the 15, use it while I can, the kids would just throw it out
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Just a bit more sanding before a coat of primer to show all the imperfections, decided to wrap some carbon cloth around the back end, to give a bit more strength to the balsa
Attachments
20181107_091813.jpg