• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Electrifying a Roedell Ventus 2c

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
Roger Melville

Electrifying a Roedell Ventus 2c

Post by Roger Melville »

Having lost our club tug, I decided it would be better to try and electrify my Roedell Ventus 2c, enabling me to fly it from our local flying site. Reading Elliot's experiences with his Ash, I went down the same route and used a Hacker A50 14L with the glider extension and a Jeti Mezon 120A ESC. I fitted the motor in the same way as Elliot and initially checked out the static power using a 6S pack. I tried an Aeronaut 16" X 10" carbon prop and this generated 1400W and pulled about 70A which was close to the predicted figures from the Hacker web site. The 6s pack was made up with a pair of Overlander 2900mah 3S batteries, as these could be fitted under the binnacle in the cockpit. I also tries a GM 16" x 10" narrow blade carbon prop and that generated figures of 1200W and 54A, showing the difference a simple prop change could make. The model weighs about 6.5Kg and is 4.8m span.

I built a launch trolley from ply and fitted 6" diameter wheels to help with rough ground or long grass.

The first flight was an anti climax as the model took off very quickly, even though the grass was quite long. Unfortunately I've been unable to upload the video of the first take off, but it left the trolley after about 30m and climbed out at about 40 degrees. As there was no lift about, I powered up again and those two climbs only took about 12% of the battery capacity.

I'm looking forward to next season, when I can fly this model when the weather is better and overall I'm very pleased with the results.
Attachments
Resize1.JPG
Resize2.JPG
Resize3.JPG
Jess Nicholls

Re: Electrifying a Roedell Ventus 2c

Post by Jess Nicholls »

Hi Roger
I would like to try this with my Alpina 5001E is your trolley your own design ?
All the best
Jess
Roger Melville

Post by Roger Melville »

Hi Jess,

It's loosely based on this design:-

https://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&de ... l&id=17578

Regards
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Jess,
I think you are looking for something like this.
I think it was put on the forum sometime ago by John Greenwood, but I may be wrong :)
Attachments
Dolly.pdf
Dolly
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Dolly
Dolly
85F418A6-96C8-45E4-9E0C-C4ED6546FDD4.jpeg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Jess Nicholls

Post by Jess Nicholls »

Ah ha thanks guys time for some innovation ;) ;)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Jess,
Did you note the pdf attachment as well?
This gave a drawing of the ply side pieces (scale if necessary to suit your model size)
Space the sides using threaded rod from your local DIY store, add some wheels and Voila!
Peter
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Roger, just wanted to say, great! that's one hell of a motor for your model, plenty of scope for future upscaling!

I am just pondering my next project to electrify, after I've converted my Vagenecht Pilatus to a stabilised receiver to take the stress out of self launching...

Ell.
Roger Melville

Post by Roger Melville »

Elliot,

If I could work out how to post a video from my phone, you could see that the model is "sprightly" from take off. I'll see how things go over next season and if all goes well, I might go for something slightly larger.

Regards
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Roger, I'd be interested to know your technique for getting the nose to spinner as good as you did.
Roger Melville

Post by Roger Melville »

Hi Elliot,

I measured the diameter of the spinner base and added 1mm on radius for the cut on the fuselage nose. The gap between the spinner and the fuselage was spaced out with 1mm ply, while the Hysol on the engine mount dried overnight. The rest was luck ;)

Regards