• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Jilles Smits 1/3 scale SG38**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3 scale SG38

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Elevator now dry hinged to check fit & movement.
Can fit tailplane LE skins next, but the rest will probably be left until the various rigging/horn fittings have been installed.
Meanwhile, I tried fitting to the rear fuselage/mast sections to see how large it is becoming ;)
Tailplane & elevator dry assembled
Tailplane & elevator dry assembled
Tail on rear fuz
Tail on rear fuz
Tail fitted-from front
Tail fitted-from front
SteveArchibald

Post by SteveArchibald »

Hi There Peter,

Beautiful work, I really do enjoy building as much as watching them get built, especially from a set of nice drawings.

Steve
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Many thanks for the compliment Steve.
A bit more done today, so will hopefully post some photo showing the installed rolled ply rudder & elevator leading edges tomorrow.
Peter
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Peter & Jilles strike up a good team. Nice work and well done to both parties
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Thanks Vince.
Here is a photo of the tailplane once the rolled ply Le has been fitted (using the white glue & ironing technique).
The tip rolled ply sections need to be applied as separate pieces as they taper towards the tip at that point, where as the central part can be done in one piece.
Balsa tip blocks complete the process.
Still a lot of 0.4mm ply cap strips to be added.
Tailplane with rolled ply LE
Tailplane with rolled ply LE
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

The first wing has now been started and is going together very quickly once you have pre-joined the 2 main spar webbing parts (I fitted a 1/32" ply doubler over the rear of the join area) and spliced up some spruce strip for the upper main & rear spars.
Starting with a few ribs at either end of the main webbing, I glued the ribs (R5 outwards) onto the web & initially held them in place using a dry fitted rear spar. (The notched ply web and bottom building tabs ease this process.)
I then glued the upper 1/4" square main & rear spars into place to firmly anchor all the ribs - note that the spars need to be pressed right down as the remaining space above will be filled with balsa later).
The remaining root ribs can be added by fitting them into the above two spars, spacing apart using the separate web pieces - not forgetting to fit the joiner tube hole doublers to R1 & R4, otherwise the rib positions will not work out correctly above the plan ;)
The aileron spar AS1 can also be fitted to the rear of the outer ribs - not forgetting to add the aileron servo plate at the same time.
Note that the aileron spar and the main (MSE) & rear (RSE) extension spars need to be fitted so that the upper surface slopes downwards towards the tip - note that some of the plan sections appear to show some tip parts upside down, but that is because of the direction the section view is made. The check is that R14 should slot in from the top.
The photos also show a couple of the spruce strip cross braces which can be slid into place via slots cut in the ribs. Note that these need to be firmly bonded to the ribs and the spar tops to add torsional stiffness. Web plates are added between top & bottom cross bracing strips later.
Initial wing structure
Initial wing structure
Aileron servo plate
Aileron servo plate
Wing root area
Wing root area
Wing tip area
Wing tip area
SOTIRIS

Post by SOTIRIS »

Great,job!!! We are looking forward for the progress.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

I had forgotten that I hadn't updated the thread for a while!
The 1st wing structure is now more or less complete & awaiting aileron horns & bracketry before the 0.4mm ply skins are put on.
The 1st wing aileron is nearly complete, just needing the LE to be shaped.

Also, I have put together the 2nd wing structure over the past couple of days, including the aileron.
Still a lot of finishing work to do yet, but I now have all of the major structures complete :)

In the meantime, Wilson has delivered a 1/3 scale old timer pilot to Cliff, so I had better get on with the seat and the metalwork ;)
Both wings
Both wings
Separate wings
Separate wings
Both ailerons
Both ailerons
Pilot
Pilot
SOTIRIS

Post by SOTIRIS »

Bravo, Peter! What kind of wood did you use to wings?
SOTIRIS

Post by SOTIRIS »

What's the best choice of wood for spars?