• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Lawrie P

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello everyone.
The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Covering is now down to the ailerons and the elevators. Painting is almost finished, just have to finish the fuselage and the canopy frame. Hopefully the canopy will be done soon. I would like to have the canopy fitted but not attached to the frame before I paint it. 101 other little jobs to finish as well but we're getting there. Cheers
R/Hand outer wing panel waiting for its ailerons
R/Hand outer wing panel waiting for its ailerons
Inner wing panel waiting for masking up and final paint job
Inner wing panel waiting for masking up and final paint job
Outer panel coming together
Outer panel coming together
Rudder's all done and ready for hinges and control horn
Rudder's all done and ready for hinges and control horn
Wing covering is well under way. Love this Solartex.
Wing covering is well under way. Love this Solartex.
Fuselage is nearly ready for its top coats.
Fuselage is nearly ready for its top coats.
Little Tilly just has to get in the picture somewhere.
Little Tilly just has to get in the picture somewhere.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hi,
Here are another two. I couldn't resist putting some of it together this afternoon. The tail parts were still a bit sticky, so left them in the shed. Wasn't really sure about the dark red but it 's growing on me.All the moving parts are ready for hinges to be glued in. That will happen over the next couple of days.
Getting there
Getting there
It's growing on me.
It's growing on me.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Wow!. Watching wit excitement
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Nothing like a witty watch??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
Martin G

Post by Martin G »

Blimey Cliff,

That didn't take very long.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Martin G wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 16:00 Blimey Cliff,

That didn't take very long.
Friends in high places....

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Wow, look at that. Cliff has straightened the photos and made me a canopy. Your a legend mate, thank you. Your efforts will be much appreciated by me and hopefully many more.
Cheers.
Lawrie.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello Cliff,
Yeah. Paid by Paypal on the 5th Nov. On the 15th i emailed Barry to ask for a date that the canopy was sent but haven't heard anything back from him yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished as well. I have the C/G all sorted. Radio is all programmed up. Paint work is curing nicely. Weather is warming up, 31c yesterday at our flying field. I don't mind the waiting time as it gives me an opportunity to tidy up the shed a little before messing it all up again with another build. First up will be a storage/travelling box for the PWS and then a non scale Leprechaun glider which i will electrify.
Cheers
Lawrie.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hey, i'm excited. The canopy has arrived. Many thanks to Cliff and Barry. It looks very good.
Photos to follow when some progress is made.
Cheers.
Lawrie.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Here are a few more photos to bring the build almost to the finish line. The Canopy was the job to finish off. Thank you to Cliff and Barry for a wonderful job. I would like to thank Stuart Ward from NZ for his concern about the red snaky tubes visible in the early stages of the fuselage construction. They have served their purpose of guiding the pull-pull wires through the fuse up to the rudder servo and have now been removed. I have to say that I have really enjoyed this build. In the main it has gone together very well. Parts were cut very nicely and slotted together with a minimum of sanding and filing. The gull wing construction was a first for me and i'm hoping I have engineered the join in the wings sufficiently. I feel confident they will be good enough. It wont be a speed machine and hopefully it wont ever be doing snap rolls and loops.
I am hoping to fly it this weekend coming. Its 41C outside right now and a fair bit warmer in the shed so its not real conducive to modelling at the moment. Anyway i am hoping we can get an early start on Sunday with the aerotowing and get in a couple of flights before it warms up too much.
I'll keep you posted.
Lawrie.

12mm*3mm alloy skid fitted to help with model preservation at our field.
12mm*3mm alloy skid fitted to help with model preservation at our field.
Red snaky tubes have guided the pull-pull wires through the fuse and are now coming out.
Red snaky tubes have guided the pull-pull wires through the fuse and are now coming out.
Canopy has arrived and part of the frame in the background. The two wire hooks you can see will allow for a gentle squeeze to get canopy on and off
Canopy has arrived and part of the frame in the background. The two wire hooks you can see will allow for a gentle squeeze to get canopy on and off
Marking out for the internal framing. Black lines can be seen from inside to allow careful placement of framework which has been pre shaped and painted.
Marking out for the internal framing. Black lines can be seen from inside to allow careful placement of framework which has been pre shaped and painted.
Internal frame parts ready to fit.
Internal frame parts ready to fit.
And here she is. Already to go at 12kgs
And here she is. Already to go at 12kgs
I'm quite happy with the canopy. Doesn't look too bad
I'm quite happy with the canopy. Doesn't look too bad
If you want to know what the colours are, I call the Cab Sav and Sav Blanc. Cheers. Hic
If you want to know what the colours are, I call the Cab Sav and Sav Blanc. Cheers. Hic
Rubber bands hooked through from the right hand wing and slipped onto left wing as it slides on.
Rubber bands hooked through from the right hand wing and slipped onto left wing as it slides on.