Jilles Smits 1/3 scale Ikarus

Let us all watch your new project progress.
SteveArchibald

Jilles Smits 1/3 scale Ikarus

Post by SteveArchibald » 29 Dec 2018, 09:01

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post tonight as its almost time to sit back and watch some TV, although building this beauty is calling. After successfully completing another Jilles Smits design, the Sperber Junior it was time to start planning and building my 2019 build and what better way to keep to a timely schedule than to get a build thread underway.

She is going to be a beauty.

Not alot of imagery to post tonight as its mainly the setup of the support structure and after printing the scaled drawings out twice due to a scaling error on my large format printer resulted in having to re-jig the formers twice. Anyway all is now setup and am underway.

Not the greatest pictures tonight as I am on the surface and once I move it indoors after the Sperber wings are moved off the bench I will use a better camera.

That's all for now folks.

Steve

Cliff Evans

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3 scale Ikarus

Post by Cliff Evans » 29 Dec 2018, 09:43

Thanks for starting this build, are you going to use the 3d printed parts that are avilable for it?

SteveArchibald

Post by SteveArchibald » 29 Dec 2018, 23:26

Hey Cliff,

How's it going? Yeah my plan is to print them although I havn't had my 3d printer setup for a while so some calibration is in order. I custom built one to print 500 x 500mm, a nice big build plate so we shouldn't have any worries.

Man this will be the biggest build I have done to date :).

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 29 Dec 2018, 23:38

I am experimenting with carbon loaded filament at present, very good and strong. You need a ruby tip as the filament is quite abrasive. I have a Cel Robox which has interchangable heads. Looking forward to your build.

SteveArchibald

Post by SteveArchibald » 30 Dec 2018, 04:26

Sounds interesting, I havnt tried carbon filament yet so maybe give it a go but like you said a ruby tip will be in order.

SteveArchibald

Post by SteveArchibald » 30 Dec 2018, 08:44

Hey guys,

I am not sure if anyone other than Jilles can help me out with this one. The plans call for a front skid to be constructed as well as a retract at CG and the rear roller under the rudder. Could it be possible to do away with the midships retract and just use the front skid retract? I am confused as to why we need both.

Hopefully these images make it a little clearer as to what I am talking about.

I am thinking I could probably get away with just the skid, however, I am happy to install both as long as its required as the retract is quite pricey from the EU.

Cheers Gents

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 30 Dec 2018, 09:05

I would use both. there will be a lot of force on that skid without the wheel also it is scale! For what work is involved, it is worth it. I beleive that on the full size, you could only use the skid with the wheel down!

Here are some pics of the Meteor being built in Brisbane.

Skid retracted.jpg
Skid extended.jpg
Fwd Fuse.jpg

And a good video of the full size.
https://youtu.be/qtZHcYlSiv0

SteveArchibald

Post by SteveArchibald » 30 Dec 2018, 09:16

Hey Cliff,

Thanks for the speedy reply which solves my question. Retract as well it is :). Thanks for the pics and links

Steve

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 30 Dec 2018, 09:27

Also here is the dash that I printed.

20180501_132805.jpg
20180501_132820.jpg

Jilles

Post by Jilles » 31 Dec 2018, 01:37

Hi all
The Iakarus did have the main retract and skid together, see attached picture of the full scale.
The story I heard was that the skid was only used with the retract on heavy going fields like a snow cover. In that case the fuse would topple forward, the skid preventing damage to the fuse. So you could use two separate channels for each of the two features and choose if you want use the retract wheel only or both. Never use the skid only
Attachments
ikarus-meteor.jpg