• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SF33 1/6 scale

Fans and Thermals.
Tonyw51

Re: SF33 1/6 scale

Post by Tonyw51 »

Cheers Cliff. I'm onto that today.

Thanks and regards
Tony
Tonyw51

Post by Tonyw51 »

Thanks Peter, I must say that it was the Irish posting that sparked my initial interest in this model.

I look forward to asking for your assistance in the not too distant future.

Thanks and regards,

Tony
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Hi there, I am really interested in building this lovely little motor glider

What electric set up is everybody going to use ie which motor and what power set up 3s or 4s lipo ???

Thanks Chris
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

I have an old Dualsky XM3548CA-4 1080kv motor plus Dualsky XC4118BA 40A ESC which is expected to be used with a 9x6 or 10x6 folding prop.
Battery will be 2 or 3S to suit power required (I cannot remember at the moment what the Irish model setup was).
Tonyw51

Post by Tonyw51 »

G'day Peter & Chris,
Much excitement in the workshop today with the arrival of my short kit from SC Models. So now have the plans printed, mirrored and printed again (and they are a perfect match), the short kit and the canopy "in the mail" from Sarick. I am in the process of completing a Brolga (2.0 mtr. Australian model) and as soon as it has had its maiden flight I shall start on the SF-33.

I am very happy with the quality of laser cutting and I shall start to rifle though the stores of strip and sheet to put together a complete kit, so all is looking good.
IMG_1941.jpg
Last edited by Tonyw51 on 10 Jan 2019, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Spoiler now added together with servo & operation checked.
(Will need to be top wing surface hinged using film or tape in due course)

Aileron servo position added.
Spoiler + aileron servo
Spoiler + aileron servo
Spoiler servo
Spoiler servo
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Very neat job on the spoiler installation Peter with the servo nicely hidden by the sheeting.

Having never done it before(always used commercial brakes), but about to tackle this job, how have you secured the servo and is the pushrod connection a z bend at both ends? Have you mde the spoiler from 1/16" sheet with ply reinforcement? The way you have done it looks a lot simpler than some methods I have seen which often employ a 6mm sq. balsa framework and a more complicated linkage arrangement.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Stephen,
Servo body located in a slot in an extra 2mm Liteply sub-rib, with servo mounting lugs trapped behind balsa spaced off rib by thickness of lug. A touch of hot glue will firmly secure in place before bottom sheeting added later.
Yes, thin wire pushrod with Z bend each end. Needs to be exact length, but cannot come loose later when under sheeting.
Spoiler is 1/16” balsa with thin ply backing & 1/16” epoxy board horn glued in.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Er, what will you do if the servo fails later on, Peter?
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Chris,
Could make a small balsa framed hatch on underside with 1/16” sheet balsa cover taped in place if need be, else cut out a small area of lower skin and make good if and when a fault occurs.
Similar issue with aileron servo as the 1/6 scale wings aren’t very thick. However this servo will be in an open structure area, so covering can be cut away locally and a patch put over when done.
Peter