• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

H101 Salto 1/5 th scale

Let us all watch your new project progress.
andynrose315

H101 Salto 1/5 th scale

Post by andynrose315 »

Im just planning to build a Salto at about 1/5 scale from scratch using ply/balsa and just beginning to cad up ideas. So I’m thinking of something around 3m span fully sheeted wing and planked fuselage. This will be my first attempt at planking but have constructed built up wings from scratch a few times. I am going to CAD the parts and get them laser cut.

A few immediate things airfoil - regroups have some suggestions and anyone have particular recommendations. So far I was thinking of hq25/12.

The other item giving me more concern is the canopy. It would be great to buy off the shelf!
Nigel Argall

Re: H101 Salto 1/5 th scale

Post by Nigel Argall »

Andy - I see no-one has commented on your project yet! There is absolutely no reason why you can't make a great job of this but you ARE setting yourself quite a task doing everything from scratch. I've never done a complete scratch build but have heavily modified from plans - it can get quite scary as you really are getting into model ENGINEERING and need to make sure stuff is strong enough as well as looking right. Great thing about 1/5 scale is everything really is a lot smaller and lighter so i think the engineering side is less critical. How much of this type of designing and building have you done? I'm sure folk will help but equally don't want to patronise you if you are confident you know what you are doing!?
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

Nigel
yes i like a challenge and looking for help/observations etc on the way! the level that im looking is more semi scale, as i know i would struggle with finer details, and im likely to simplify details that i know cant handle or will just make of a mess trying. This is where i find drawing out the plan/parts to help. it probably would be a good thing to start with a short kit to get an idea of the thicknesses of parts etc but for some reason im keen on a salto, and that i could not find one. I find drawing somewhat theraputic, so even may just draw it out and park it would not really be a disaster for me. You are right about the scale being less of a concern. I dont have extensive building exp - started with kits chris foss a 2 mRES then a couple of slopewings from balsa built up with spans up to 2.5 m - this was more of wing planform selection. airfoil selection drawing out, laser cut then assemble, and then Jarts using lost foam for fuselage. Certainly no scratch building for scale/semi scale on my list. Compared to what i have done so far the fuselage planking is new, and i have some concern over the construction of the wing particular toward the tip given its thickness. Im busy drawing away.......see where this goes...
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

well not much time available to progress although slowly drawing out formers and fuselage outline. Managed to get a canopy from sarik hobbies (small salto version) which seems to be pretty much 1/5th scale.

Formers currently thinking 3 mm ply, and 3/32 planking. the spine to fuselage formers thinking 3 mm ply. Not sure if i should build two flat halves then join, or build one flat and lift from the board. Plenty of time to decide that! For the formers still to decide and draw the stringer (least thats what i think they are called) or perhaps run a carbon tube on either side. For stringer this seems from other builds to be spruce(?) and 3/8 by 1/4.

Any comments on the dimensions would be most welcome.
Attachments
first pass former outlines-
first pass former outlines-
fuselage outline
fuselage outline
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Ho andy I would go for it .nice to see someone having a go. best of luck will be watching. Roo
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Interesting project Andy and good luck with it. I like the Salto (I have the Valenta one) and have toyed with the idea of making a third scale or even 40% scale one before I saw sense. I think the Salto might be quite a challenge to make with the balsa planking technique because of the complicated compound (and in particular the concave areas) in the fuselage - not to say it's not possible and as you say you like a challenge!

I don't think you'll go too far wrong with that aerofoil section (I think the Valenta is HQ25)

Simon
Last edited by Simon WS on 04 Feb 2019, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

Well, as a rest from clearing snow had a test section of planking. Made up 5 formers and 3/32 planks. Learned a few things doing this. Need a balsa stripper, now on my shopping list. Order of planking - top bottom middle and infill?? Warping of the structure - that will be a challenge to manage especially if made in two halves. I think two flat sections then join together might be best or make a jig to holder formers to allow planking either side at once.
Attachments
Test planking.
Test planking.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Andy, would it have been easier to sheet it in sections rather than plank it, probably wetting the balsa first to get it to conform to the curves of the fus?

Have you glued together just a section of the fus, and did you jig it or just "freehand" assembly?

I'm interested to see how you tackle this as the shape is not dissimilar to my Fauvette fuselage which is also at 1/5 scale.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

If it's any help, this is how I built my 7th scale Gull fuselage, sheeting the rear with 1.5mm balsa sheet, and the front with 2.4mm balsa planking to allow extra for shaping up... The half-shell method was used...
Attachments
P1040437.JPG
P1040439.JPG
P1040451.JPG
P1040452.JPG
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

Hi thanks for the responses. this was very much scrap balsa and a free hand assembly just to try out planking as i have not tried this before. Im still drawing parts out, but just wanted a break.
Chris thanks for the suggestion and pictures - very useful