Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Let us all watch your new project progress.
john greenfield

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by john greenfield »

Jilles

I reckon you could put those strips on using the PVA and hot iron method. Once set up with the strips cut and the parts coated with PVA you could progress much quicker and not need the clamps.

Just a thought.

Regards

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)

Jilles

Post by Jilles »

the Iron on method is a bit tricky on a hollow surface unless you have a small iron. I once tried a little iron that is used for attaching film but the one I have does not seem to be hot enough or because of the small size looses the heat to fast.
I prefer to put down a strip permanently and than test fit the next strip. It does not go must slower than the Iron on option because you do not have to wait an hour for the PVA to dry before starting the ironing process.
There is no date for this model to be finished, so building time is not an issue. Also I have three vintage glider designs in the pipeline, two for Cliff so time has to be divided between various projects.

Jilles

Post by Jilles »

The RH wing stub is now completely planked. the first layer of strip went on fine, the tail end has larger pieces of ply because it is only bend in one direction. The first layer was sanded smooth. After sanding the exposed layers of the ply show that the first layer of strip were not 100% inline with each other. This is not a problem. For the second layer a 12 mm wide 0,4 mm ply strip was added over the full length on the top and a approximate 20 mm wide strip from the edge of the root rib to the start of the fairing radius. This outer strip was widened at the front and covers the balsa leading edge all around to join the wing stub bottom planking, see picture F061.
To finish the second ply layer vertical strip were added again half a strip offset from the bottom strips. With the horizontal top & bottom strip there are two edges to hold the vertical strips in place. With the correct length of the vertical strips they follow the bottom contour with a little tension. No clamping required to hold them in place for the glue to set.
Pictures F063-65 show the second layer lightly sanded. later epoxy mixed with sanding filler will be applied to fill little gaps between strips
The last bit at the front of the wing stub will be solid balsa sanded in shape as required.
This will be the last post on this subject for the year. Planking the LH wing stub will be done the same way so no use to show the same thing again
Christmas is coming up then a visit to offspring and their offspring in New Zealand. The built will resume the end of January.
A merry Christmas and happy new year to all SSUK followers
Jiles Smits
firs layer of strips sanded
firs layer of strips sanded
F059.jpg
the tail with larger ply slabs
the tail with larger ply slabs
F061.jpg
ply strips top & bottom
ply strips top & bottom
second layer of ply completed
second layer of ply completed
F064.jpg
second layer sanded
second layer sanded

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Brilliant Jilles. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

:D :D :D :D

BC

Jilles

Post by Jilles »

With all the festivities and holiday behind me it is time re-start the Nimbus build.
Attached pictures show how the nose area of the wing stubs were created. Pieces of 6 mm balsa were glued to the front then sanded into shape
A layer of epoxy wit 50% sanding filler applied and then sanded again. I am happy with the result. More epoxy with sanding filler will be added to the total wing stub surface for final sanding but that is for a later date.
F066.jpg
F067.jpg
F068.jpg
F069.jpg
F070.jpg
F071.jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Jilles,
Certainly looks as if you are getting there.
Don’t let Brian Sharp see those pictures of your work area though 😀😀

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

That looks an interesting transition which must have been a nightmare even for the full size builders. Nicely done Jilles

Jilles

Post by Jilles »

The wings are the next items I want to built. The spar sections are 1/2"x1/4" and need to be bend because we have a gull wing here
the spars were bend by steaming. It takes a while but not impossible. The bending template included in the NC parts laser kit is very helpful to get the result required.
the spar webbing was assembled and the bottom spar glued to the webbing. The False L/E was assembled as well. both spar webbing and L/E are assembled on a flat surface with a straight edge against the building tabs of the outer sections to keep things in-line. A building base has been erected from particle board with the correct gull angle. This base will be used for both l/h and r/h wing.
I have to go to the printer to get the wing drawing printed, they will be used on the base board

Coming back on the transition of the wing stubs fronts. The original factory drawing was provided to me by Vince .He must have a very extensive library of many gliders.
The drawing is not 100% clear on the front transition and pictures of the full scale or what is left of it show the prototype had some variation in that area compared to the factory drawing. Suppose the builders used their imagination to get a practical result.

As for my workshop, I am proud of it and know roughly were everything is

F072.jpg
F073.jpg
F074.jpg
F075.jpg
F076.jpg
F077.jpg
F078.jpg

Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

That looks awesome , I envy the space you have

Jilles

Post by Jilles »

A building base was built to accommodate the building of the gull wings. I bought 16 mm thick craft wood panels from the local Hardware shop. They were seconds having damaged edges but otherwise straight but cheap. The surface of the building base was checked that is was straight and level The drawing set has two wing drawings, the inner and outer panel. They show the true view of the panels respectively. On these drawings a cut line were the joint of the two base plates is shown. When you go to the printer ask him to print both drawings mirror reverse as well for the R.H. wing, The building base is good for both the L.h. and r.h wing. A note on long paper drawing sheets they shrink or expand subject to moisture and temperature. In my part of the world it is at the moment between 30-35 degrees C and humid, as a result the outer panel drawing is longer ( 3mm) than it should. This is not an issue, the ply webbing of the spar has notches dictation the location of the ribs and other parts.The drawing on the board is only there to make sure the spar is straight and showing the parts that need to be fitted.
After the drawing is secured to the building base the spar is fitted kept in place by aluminium angle and screws. ribs are then test fitted and glued in position. the false L/E is also held in position by small wooden blocks. The spar webbing, false L/E and most ribs have tabs that rest on the building base. This makes sure all is at the correct location
Today the top spar was fitted. requiring lots of pegs to hold the ply webbing to the top spar member
Not mentioned before is that I have epoxied 10 x 0.5 mm carbon strip to the inside if the top & bottom spar section for additional strength ( see pictures). they come a meter long and in this case go past the gull radius. The remainder of the outer spar (1.4m) does not have carbon strips

W01.jpg
W02.jpg
W03.jpg
W04.jpg
W06.jpg
W07.jpg
W08.jpg
W09.jpg