• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Jilles Smits 1/3.5 scale PWS-101

Post by VinceC »

What a gorgeous model. Congratulations
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Oh, I really do like that aeroplane. Well done!
Brian. :)
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Well finally after nearly 9 months of fun and games the PWS takes to the air and goes up where she belongs. After putting it together and checking everything to make sure the control surfaces were going in the right directions, for about the hundredth time, did a range check, the tug pilot was ready so it was out to the flight line, hook up the tow line and before I knew what was happening, it was away. It was airborne after about 8 metres and going up like it was on rails. It felt rock solid on the tow and all I had to do was stand there and watch and let the tug do its work. At about 250 metres I released the tow line and straight away I could see it start to slow down so pushed in a little down to pick up the speed and then pushed in 5 clicks of down trim and that was it. She floats around very nicely, will pick up speed if you need it and will slow down without any sign of tip stalling. Control surfaces are working just fine. Ailerons are very positive, they are very big, and go up 25mm with 50% diff and 50% expo. Elevator is nice and positive. It goes up 60mm, down 50mm with 50% expo. Rudder is 60mm left and right with 50% expo and mixed with a switch to ailerons to 70%.
It doesn't take too long to assemble, hooking the wings together is the fiddley bit, but it can be ready to fly in about 10-12 minutes which is fine by me.
I had thought about making up a small 2 wheel dolly for it to take off on but it was not needed in the end. The tug with a DA 120 up front had plenty of power to haul her up off the ground.
Landing was long and flat. it does float on, the air brakes do slow it up but not in a great hurry so care is needed. If you use down elevator to lose height you will also pick up speed and float on even more. I was landing into a light cross wind which doesn't help to slow things down so a head wind would the preference but not an option on the day because our cross strip, where the wind was is quite a bit shorter with a steeper approach. After the first landing and carrying back to the pits, it does take 2 people to carry with hands under the join in the 2 wing panels, it does weigh 12 kgs and is quite a lump to try and carry on your own, any way I sat down with a bottle water and I don't think I moved for about an hour, just sat with a silly grin on my face whilst trying to analyse the flight with the tug pilot and our spotters. The second flight was more of the same but maybe a few minutes longer. After only 2 flights I don't feel the need to change any of the control throws or the C-G. It was thought to be slightly nose heavy at 140mm back from the leading edge but for now it will remain there till I get a few more flights under my belt. 2 flights were enough for me on its first outing. It was very hot at 35c and the cross wind was getting stronger so I packed it away in the van and sat some with that grin.
Thank you to Cliff, Vince and Brian for your kind words.
That's it from me for now.
Cheers, Happy days.
Lawrie.
IMG_3680.JPG
IMG_3679.JPG
IMG_3677.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG
IMG_3676.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG
IMG_3671.JPG
IMG_3667.JPG
IMG_3663.JPG
IMG_3661.JPG
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Thanks Cliff, yes still grinning and hoping this thread will inspire others to have ago.
Lawrie.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

So, if you are not happy with it you can post it to me :D
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

:lol: :lol: :lol: , nice try Vince, and nice to make your acquaintance. I think you would have to re mortgage the house to pay for the shipping so to save you the hassle of doing that I think I will keep this one and post a photo now and then for you to enjoy.
Cheers, and compliments of the season to you and yours.
Lawrie.
:) :) :)
Andrew Ray

Post by Andrew Ray »

That is one beautiful glider, lovely build and such an inspiration.
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

G,Day Andrew.
Thank you for your kind words. It is indeed a lovely glider, and flies as good as it looks, but has it inspired you enough to have a go :) :) .

Cheers, Lawrie.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Jilles PWS-101Built by John Goldson at Sandhays maiden flight today. Beautiful, no vices at all
20200717_181146.jpg
20200717_184701.jpg
20200717_184633.jpg
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hey Hello John,
LawrieP here, hope you enjoyed the build as much as i did and i'm sure you will enjoy the flying even more. Tell us a bit about the build. Covering and types of paint used etc.
I'm now building the Petrel by Jilles. Fun and games.
Cheers
Lawrie.