Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Slingsby T.50 Skylark 4

Let us all watch your new project progress.
StephenB

Re: Slingsby T.50 Skylark 4

Post by StephenB »

Looks lovely Brian, finish and build are immaculate. Looking forward to the update on her maiden.

What have you used for the pilot?

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks guys!
Stephen, the pilot is a Hobbyking 1/4 scale Piper Cub pilot. Scaled at 1/4 the full size pilot would be 5ft 2in, but scaled at 1/5 the full size pilot would be 6ft 2in tall. So this is a cheap pilot figure that works for many aircraft.
Brian. :)

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Brian,
Could you give us a link to that pilot, or the SKU number.

Thanks. BC

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Sorry guys, that was a bit of misinformation. The company is Hanger 9 and the details are (J-3 Cub 1:4 Scale Full Body Posable Pilot
Brand: Hangar 9 Part Number: HAN4566 £14.09 Web Price.) It appears to be out of stock at present.

Further to the Skylark: it weighs in at 7lb 5oz (3.34kg) which give it a wing loading of 16.6 oz/ft2 Much easier to carry up the hill!
I will post further info once I have chucked it off a hill - however the forecast for the next week is a bit iffy up here.
Brian :)

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Discontinued, B****r

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BC

StephenB

Post by StephenB »

A canny buy that Brian :D

Meanwhile for the rest of us, the search for a sensible money pilot figure continues .................

Andrew Ray

Post by Andrew Ray »

2 in stock at https://rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Full-Bod ... N4566.html

I have a couple of these and good value for the money they are too.

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The Skylark 1V had it’s maiden flight this morning. It was cold, overcast and did I mention it was COLD. The wind was out of the South West and as I arrived at the slope it was only about 5 or 6 mph, however that increased to around 12 to 14 mph as the morning progressed. I had three trimming flights which saw me adding 5 clicks of down elevator and 3 clicks of right aileron. The C/G is pretty much in the right place at 33.3% of the root chord although I might move it back slightly in future flights.
The Skylark flies very well and is not in any way difficult to control. The stall is a non-event and the speed range is nice and wide thanks no doubt to the choice of Quabeck 3.5 -14 to 12 as the wing section. The landings are easy due to the stability of the aircraft and the effectiveness of the brakes.
On the third flight I managed to bag some photos (shown below) – Tx in one hand and camera in the other. I did throw the skylark about a bit (sorry purists – it’s just my nature) and it will perform loops, stall turns, chandelles and rolls (the rolls are a bit slow).
All in all the Skylark is a rather nice aeroplane and at 1/5 scale it is easy to carry up the hill.
Brian. :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Pre-flight pics at my local hill this morning.
Pre-flight pics at my local hill this morning.
Wind around 6mph and underwear nice and clean.
Wind around 6mph and underwear nice and clean.
Proof of flight.
Proof of flight.
Wind now around 14mph and underwear still clean!
Wind now around 14mph and underwear still clean!

chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Well done Brian...5th scale rules!

FrankS

Post by FrankS »

Looks lovely, top result