SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Let us all watch your new project progress.
RobbieB

Re: SHORT BROS NIMBUS SCALE 1:3.5

Post by RobbieB » 14 Feb 2019, 11:14

On my Gull3 I too sheeted the radius gull transition with individual pieces, scarfed and wrapped right around the LE and continued underneath back to the spar in one piece with no balsa support underneath the sheeting and it it has been fine.
The resulting flat sections of sheeting over the gull transition were rounded out with thin layers of filler - again not visible under the paint.

Jilles

Post by Jilles » 26 Feb 2019, 09:21

The underside of the D-box is now planked completing the planking in front of the spar. the building tabs were only removed in front of the spar
The remaining tabs on the spar webbing and to the rib rear ends were used to check that the wing saw level and then secured to prevent a twist in the wing With the front planking now completed the wing is rigid. prior to closing the box the servo wire harness was fitted and double checked that all connections are as it should. because I can get them for free I do use high quality screw plugs used in professional electronic equipment. The female plug comes with a 3 meter wire fitted, 8 wires in my case. I removed the outer rubber protection for weight saving. I do prefer a single plug if more than one channel is involved. This wing has 3 servos/channels. This prevents mixing plugs at the field. I do not like the Multiplex connectors. hard to plug in or undo
W37.jpg
wing underside
W38.jpg
securing wing inner section to board
W39.jpg
checking if wing is level
W40.jpg
checking if wing is level
W41.jpg
servo wire harness fitted
W42.jpg
Front planking completed
W43.jpg
Front planking completed

Jilles

Post by Jilles » 26 Feb 2019, 09:54

The T/E is a 1.5 mm ply core ( part of NC-laser kit) 1. 5mm balsa to top & bottom sanded back towards the rear edge until 1.5mm ply is just visible at the rear end
6 mm balsa fitted to aileron end ribs for stiffness against tension in future film of cloth cover 0.4mm ply planking prepared and glued to T/E. A steel bar is used to assist in clamping and keeping things straight. Future builders can use a solid balsa T/E if they wish but I like this setup on all my models. It is a bit time consuming but they result is a strong and straight edge . It stays straight over time as well.
The prototype ailerons are hinged at the top. The model is the same with Dubro 257 Nylon hinges with removable cotter pins. The aileron is 1.2 m+ long so 6 pairs of hinges are used. I like these hinges because of the removable pins. 1 mm deep recesses were cut into the top spars of wing and ailerons to make the hinge blades flush with the underside of the future 0.4 mm ply planking. Because of the long aileron, like the prototype the ailerons is moved at two locations, two servos in the model. Each with its own channel

W44.jpg
aileron diagonal ribs fitted
W45.jpg
1.5mm balsa added to T/E
W46.jpg
0.4mm top ply T/E clamped with steel bar
W47.jpg
T/E planked at inner section
W48.jpg
top of inner section planked with all bits and pieces
W49.jpg
T/E planking prepared for aileron
W50.jpg
first aileron T/E planking fitted
W51.jpg
top spars recessed for hinges

Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce » 26 Feb 2019, 11:23

Jilles, that looking really nice, I like the gull angle.

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 26 Feb 2019, 12:54

Nice work Jilles

Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P » 03 Mar 2019, 04:30

Looking very good Jilles.
Following with interest.
Cheers, Lawrie.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 04 Mar 2019, 15:29

Canopy will be winging it's way to you shortly!
20190304_125640.jpg
Nimbus canopy.

Jilles

Post by Jilles » 05 Mar 2019, 00:05

That would be very nice, thank you The first wing build is nearly done, another 6 weeks or so for the second wing.

Jilles

Post by Jilles » 08 Mar 2019, 05:02

The main building work on the LH wing is now complete. fitting the aileron horns and some 0.4mm planking on the aileron will complete the wing.
Work on the RH wing will start shortly. As mentioned before it will take 6 weeks or so and I will not bother you with pictures of this RH wing built.
You can be sure it will be the same except mirror reverse. There seems to be a story going around that somebody managed to built two RH or LH wings that will not happen here. 6 weeks might seem long but there is also a scale 1:3 Vintage Scale glider design on the way for Cliff Evans. time is divided between that, building and flying models, o yes I am married as well with grand children as the result.

I could not resist to make some outdoor pictures with the wing and fuse together. It was the first time they went together. No issues with the wing rod and incidence pin. That is the advantage of using NC cut parts, it fits and is at the correct place and angle.
The main wing rod is 20 mm dia carbon the incidence pin 1/4" alu bar

W52.jpg
LH wing result
W53.jpg
LH wing result
W54.jpg
LH wing result
W55.jpg
LH wing result
W56.jpg
had to raise the washing ling
W57.jpg
fuse and wing mated together
W58.jpg
W59.jpg

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 08 Mar 2019, 05:06

Looks good Jilles. At least you have good weather to go outside!