• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wilga ucart

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
barrieburton34

Wilga ucart

Post by barrieburton34 »

I need to find a supplier of small shock absorbers as used in the undercarriage of my Wilga.It is the usual 2.2M span. Eye to eye extended is about 110mm.The shocks that I have are that weak that they bottom by the weight of the model alone.I have tried adding external springs but that does not solve the problem. Any help appreciated.

Barrie Burton
Ray Watts

Re: Wilga ucart

Post by Ray Watts »

Hi Barrie
I have used both Associated Spring and SGS engineering. See if you can find something there
Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Thanks for the reply Ray,I have downloaded the Associated springs catalogue.Do not have a clue yet to prices,or will they sell me just 2 off.Work in progress,as they say.Your photo shows a Wilga,I assume you have one,if so does it have the slots? I purchased an unfinished glass fibre fus,tail ,cowl and ucart,but no wings.I have built a set of wings with slots,but have noticed that a lot of the ARTFS do not have them fitted,I hope I am not asking for trouble.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

SGS will rework the ones you have I think, also, if you're not happy with the result, they certainly used to offset the cost of new ones too.
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Hi Barrie
Mine was a 1:3.5 scale Frish Wilga which doesn't have slots. Sadly it is no more after a flap failure last year. I am guessing that yours is the 1:5 scale version from Airworld which does have slots and a whole lot of other detail on the wing. The Frisch kits were more a working model. Again sadly I believe that Alex Frisch has given up kit production now, though he wouldn't export to GB anymore anyway.

See below for details of the Airworld kit

http://www.airworld.de/Englisch/Motorfl ... /index.htm

Ray
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Hi,

If this helps: My 30% Wilga 2000 weighs just under 20kg and is fitted with SGS struts. I've photographed them so you can see the reference number and rate. I find these are about right. A good rolling landing and they move very little but will bottom with a less-than-perfect three pointer.
Cheers,

John
Attachments
Wilga 200mm wheel lr.jpg
SGS Size.JPG
SGS REF No.JPG
Wilga 2000 touch down.JPG
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Whilst we're talking Wilga 2000, here's a video (one of several) about Draco, which is a converted Wilga 2000 to 680 shaft-hp Pratt & Whitney PT6A-28 turboprop and mega power. I like the hanger parking at 15 minutes, just cool 8-)

Stats on Draco

Enjoy before the lighter evenings :)
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Thanks for your help and interest.As a temp measure I have beefed up the old shockers with coil compression springs.The model is ready to fly and I am more than a little worried.The model does seem to be an Airworld production.My model weighs 18lbs + but according to the Airworld web site 16lbs is about right.Looking at the Airworld photographs,their version does not have slots,mine does,hence the trepidation.
I liked the video.When my toy flies I will let you know.

Barrie B
Wilgaboy

Post by Wilgaboy »

Is this the Wilga 2000 that Colin Bond made....
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Dear Wilgaboy,

Yes, this is the Wilga 2000 Colin built. It is still going strong tugging all day at the recent Camphill Tow meeting. It is a joy to fly. I told Colin so myself last time I met him.

Cheers,

John
Attachments
Wilga 2000 and blue sky.JPG
Wilga 200 right bank.JPG