• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Caa permission to exceed 400 ft

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
flihijohn

Caa permission to exceed 400 ft

Post by flihijohn »

Having digested all the information regarding the new rules on flying heights I could still do with a bit of clarification. Perhaps someone can help?
Our club field is outside any airport blue zone and I know that only aircraft with a mass of less that 7 Kg are permitted to fly above 400 Ft. Is it possible to get permission from the CAA to fly models above 7 Kg above 400 Ft? All our glider tugs are above 7 Kg and 400 Ft is only a two second climb for a jet!
I suspect that a permission could be obtained for a specific event but what about, say, an annual permission? If anyone knows how we might go about obtaining a permission I would be grateful for any info.
Any 1/3 scale glider will exceed 7 Kg, similarly for tugs. How do other flat-field flyers go on?
Barry_Cole

Re: Caa permission to exceed 400 ft

Post by Barry_Cole »

John PM sent.

BC
Brian Taylor

Post by Brian Taylor »

Interesting to see that question 3 of the consultation document differentiates between “Drones” & “Model Aircraft”. More confusion?
Brian
MDev

Post by MDev »

I have responded to the questions in the on line form. I suggested they transfer our data straight from the model associations, less chance of errors, less costs, i.e. no public websites needed. If someone isn't a member then they haven't got insurance.

There is a question there asking us if we think the numbers they've suggested are correct. If the CAA doesn't know then they need to go and find out otherwise what are they basing their costs on? I told them to go back to school!

Illegal 'drone' users will always be illegal so whats the point of asking them to register? Use your resources on that rather than making lawful pursuit followers spend time and money registering a second time.

This is a system where the user pays, a political inspired decision. I pointed out that I will never be a 'user' since I will never have access to that information or be able to use it for any purpose. This should be challenged in court.

I did add other comments about the viability of the whole system and its doubtful parentage.

M
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

That's pretty much what I said too.

What a complete waste of time and money.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

BC
Richard_A

Post by Richard_A »

An amazingly naïve consultation document with no background data apparently available to help formulate a meaningful response to most of the questions. A pretty risible approach from a supposedly responsible Government Organisation charged with implimenting a political whim.

Richard.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Richard_A wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 22:39 An amazingly naïve consultation document with no background data apparently available to help formulate a meaningful response to most of the questions. A pretty risible approach from a supposedly responsible Government Organisation charged with implimenting a political whim.

Richard.
Probably because they don’t intend to pay any attention to the responses anyway!
More than likely, they are just going through the motions to be able to tick the “Consultation” box!!
spike spencer

Post by spike spencer »

That may be so but is no reason for inaction. To support the efforts of BMFA HQ, only a universal cry of anguish from the conventional model flying community is likely to change the direction of this oncoming steamroller !
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Don’t worry Spike, I did my submission before I replied to the previous quote.
Howard wise

Post by Howard wise »

Here we go again, the many being punished for the actions of a few. This registration is a complete waste of time and money, and the people they are trying to catch WON,T register. All I can think is these people are thick !!!!
They will end up with a database with the same people as the BMFA, the ones responsible enough to get insurance.
Unbelievable :x :x :x :x :x :x