• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

GenesisII

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: GenesisII

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Well done John :D :D
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Just like buses 😆😆
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Very nice
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Peter Balcombe wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:28 Just like buses 😆😆
Well, someone had to say it.....

8-) 8-)

BC
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Not in my neck of the woods they don't!
Brian. ;)
Foxsoar

Post by Foxsoar »

Hello All,

I have been flying a 1/3 Scale Genesis 2 for almost 20 years. Winch launch and mostly aero tow. I was able to get a set of plans before the full scale flew. My Dad built a G1 also before the full scale prototype flew and gave back good data to the full scale pilots. Interesting plane that flies pretty good. I used an airfoil Jim Marske teaked for our model reynolds numbers. Flies fine, but does not stay up as good as other 1/3 scale ships.
What do you want to know? 8-)

Mike Fox
Foxsoar

Post by Foxsoar »

Cliff,
Are you building from Marske plans? If so go by his drawings. Mine flew easily from the start. Mine weighs about 13 lbs. Sorry no translation. Dads G1 was about 11lbs. I made a mold for my fuse and the rest is bagged glass. See attached pic of my model.

CG on the drawings is right on to start with. I have moved it around. With a forward CG, like what is shown, it flies great, but does not hang or thermal the best. It thermals better with a rear CG, but tends to hunt in straight flight. I thought about using a gyro to help that out. Talking with Marske, he said some pilots are using a sliding seat to help with the same issue. My battery is up front and required very little nose weight. I have also thought about putting in a movable CG weight.

I have 2 retracts in mine. Placement of the main gear is important. The full size moved the wheel back maybe 4" to start with. I moved mine too, to copy. I also went to a smaller front wheel so the plane pitched negative on landing. With the short fuse, it will go positive and try to fly again and with no real airspeed, it does a dork landing. :x I have also found landing with full spoiler at touch down, seem to stay on the ground better. Dads G1 did not have retracts and when he landing....it landed 3-5 times before staying on the ground. He also did not have spoilers. It was mostly a concept model.

That's about it for quirks or odd handling. Being a wing, it looks a little different in the air and it flies with the nose down, because of no long tail back there.

If I were to build another. I would use the P3 airfoil. I think it looks more like a model airfoil. Mine also has too much reflex, it is stable, but for high speed pass it takes a lot of down elevator. Marske suggested cutting the bottom of the wing and pushing the trailing edge down some. Like with a lot of designs, there are always little things that might make it better.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0933.JPG
Rich vale

Post by Rich vale »

Basic spar and wing lay up
Attachments
Spars in jig
Spars in jig
left wing lay up
left wing lay up
wing lay up 1
wing lay up 1
wing lay up 2
wing lay up 2
Rich vale

Post by Rich vale »

Elevator pushrod setup
Attachments
Fin bones
Fin bones
push rod and belcranks
push rod and belcranks
3d printed belcranks
3d printed belcranks
Rich vale

Post by Rich vale »

Fuselage parts assembled around double wing steel tubes.
Attachments
Basic bones
Basic bones
Start of fuse woodwork
Start of fuse woodwork
fuse and wing steel box
fuse and wing steel box