• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

2.8M Wolf**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Roger-Spragg

2.8M Wolf**

Post by Roger-Spragg »

Having seen Chris Williams Micro Wolf at final Middle Wallop meet last year and then the super video of his Wolf 2 on the Forum I was more than sorely tempted .... I was well and truly bitten! Our local flying site at Newent is a tad cramped and limited to about 3M for towing so with my love of scale gliders and well Chris what else could I do! Yes I've got to build one and anyway its going to be a treat to fly from our local slopes.
So this a build thread to prove Chris's plans and Cliff's parts. Yes, like most of us it's prototype first then draw the plan. There are bound to be some anomalies so Chris has asked me to publish them here as part of the build thread so that he and Cliff can take note. I'm just happy to get on with the build.
I'm not expecting any serious. Having looked closely at the plan the build is going to be very similar to Chris's G01 WOLF article in December 2018's RCM&E, i.e. very straightforward (famous last words), also note that there are build pictures in the video.

Well I've made a start on the fuz as you can see. There are a few corrections to date. Nothing serious but there seem to be some discrepancies between the former's and the plan.

Corrections to date:
F2 - Lower top by 1/8". Lower top stringer slots by 1/8". (Was this misplaced to the rear during CAD?)
A1 - 1/16" too narrow each side to tie in with F5 & F6.
A2 - 1/16" too narrow each side to tie in with formers.
A4 - 1/16" too narrow adjacent to F6, correct at the rear.

All easily sorted.

On with the build.
Attachments
2019-04-07 14.26.43.jpg
chris williams

Re: 2.8M Wolf

Post by chris williams »

Hmm, the parts seem to check out on the plan, so I'm not sure quite how to alter them. It's possible that the curves of the longerons on the drawing don't reflect the curve of the spruce in real life...
Attachments
wolf 1.jpg
wolf 2.jpg
wolf 3.jpg
P1040796.jpg
P1040800.jpg
P1040803.jpg
Roger-Spragg

Post by Roger-Spragg »

Yes well that left me stroking my chin. Is it my rubbish building technique or could it possibly be something else......

I like a puzzle but not when I can't solve it. I think I may have it and it goes like this. The plan, and we can see from Chris's reply showing the F2 Former and the longerons, that the slots in the Former are 3mm square but the longerons are drawn 4mm square. I built the Fuz side to the inside (smaller) dimension and the Former longeron slots are cut to the outside dimension. If I add in my building tolerances we can arrive at a good 2+mm, say 1/8" in old money, difference. So we can see now why F2 didn't fit. I should have checked dimensions more thoroughly before I started. The same comments are applicable to A1, A2 and A4 so beware the drawn width of the longerons.

One of the problems of having been an engineer is that you can never just leave something unexplained and move on. It just niggles at you until you understand why!

Back to the build.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Well spotted, Roger, amendments will be applied...!
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Amended parts sent, Cliff...
Roger-Spragg

Post by Roger-Spragg »

Time for an update. I've not been able to get in the workshop as much as I would like so things are progressing slowly. But I'm happy to report that the Fuz is just about complete as you can see from the photo's. There have been a few minor discrepancies along the way and one that caught me out - but not if I had studiously studied all of the plan and parts before commencing the build -- hay ho!!!
No show stoppers and for Chris's interest:

1. F4 is missing the slots to accommodate WS1.
2. Plan view shows the rear fuz 19mm wide vice the fin post and stated on the side view it is 12mm. I got caught on that one and didn't realise until it was too late. We'll see how she flies!
3. Might be nice if WS1 has the cut out for the servo lead, though the balsa block has to be drilled anyway - so no big deal.
4. Spacing for wing retaining bolts isn't the same on the fuz and wing. Not a problem but for completeness....

So all minor and if I had studied and cross referenced everything, like you all do (hum hum) I wouldn't have got caught out.

John Lucas in our club is about to start his build and sensibly decided to let me start mine first. Sensible chap!

More idc

Roger
Attachments
2019-05-11 16.27.51.jpg
2019-05-11 16.22.07.jpg
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Thanks for the updates Roger...