• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Jilles Smitts Petrel

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

Re: Jilles Smits Type13 Petrel

Post by Jilles »

I might get some questions in the near future.
jack

Post by jack »

Hi all,l am now in possession of a laser cut rain forest from cliff,masquerading as a slingsby petrel kit :shock: :shock: ,my word what a lot of wood,l will post some pics of the kit in the next few days,hoping to start work on it this month,coincidentaly,in next months RCM&E there is going to be a 1/5 scale version courtesy of chris "mr sailplane" Williams,dont know if anyone is doing a kit for it though,anyway,l am very much looking forward to building the big ,un....lovely cutting cliff,the included wing jig is a kit build in itself,l will make every effort to fully document this build,there is a hell of a lot of it,so its going to take a while :) :) :)
jack

Post by jack »

Hi all,thanks for posting the pics cliff,l am looking to get the build underway around the end of the month,as cliff says there is a lot of wood in this kit!!
and that is just the laser cut parts,you do have the option to build each wing in two halves,but l will be building the wings as two panels,l have not made a decision as yet regarding the tailplane or canopy type,the canopy can be left till quite late in the build,but l will have to decide on the tailplane type very early,looking forward to the build,cliff,s laser cutting is excellent as always,so with the B4maiden coming up,and the start of the petrel build May is proving to be an eventful month :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

This looks fab! And you never know, it may just spark me into starting the Laserflight 1/3 scale Petrel kit I've had since 2006. They sold at least 2 dozen of these kits but I'm not sure any of them got finished. There's a lot of work in those wings!

Good luck with the build Jack (and the B4 maiden too).

Rog
jack

Post by jack »

thanks rog,not heard of that company before-laser flight-got any pics of their petrel kit??,cheers,jack.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Hi Jack,

Yes as Cliff said, Laserflight designer Tony Elliott checked out CW's 1:3.5 Petrel before he designed this 1/3 version. I have plans for both on the floor and you can see similarities, although Tony's was created in CAD with laser-cutting in mind from the start. Here's a link if you'd like to find out more about Laserflight: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ED-RELEASE

The prototype for the Laserflight kit was finished but unfortunately the wings were built with wash-in rather than out, and it did not fly well. Also it had 4 piece wings and ended up rather heavy. The wings were rebuilt with a little wash-out and in just 2 panels, saving weight. Don't know how well it then flew.

Really excited to see how yours comes together. Mine will get built some day... I feel morally obliged as we live on the hill where the original first flew in 1938 and it's my favourite vintage design.

All the best,
Rog
jack

Post by jack »

hi rog,just had a read of the link you posted about laser flight,all seemed a bit weird to me,anyway,l hope you get to building your kit,l am in the planning stage now,l like to plan a build before l actually start it,helps to avoid nasty surprises later on,l tend to spend a fair bit of time doing that,along with prepping a jig board.....l don't have a bridson jig like C.W :roll: ....but then thats all part of the joy of building ;) ;) ..jack.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Yeah I agree there's no rush is there. Mind you, I've been in the "planning" stage for over 10 years! I can see mine being a retirement project. :roll:

Also... in one of those quirky coincidences, did you notice just yesterday there's an Aussie guy starting a 1/3 Petrel in another thread on RCGroups? Hopefully he'll post some photos of his build.

Rog
jack

Jilles Smitts Petrel

Post by jack »

Ok people,the bench(s) are clear and work on the Petrel is about to commence ;) ;) ;) let me just say that there is LOT of work here :roll: :roll: so l am aiming for a first flight in spring next year,pictures WILL be posted regularly,along with brief comments.....following a slight wing joiner problem the maiden of the B4 got pushed back,so weather permitting that event will happen next month at Middle Wallop,hopefully Mr Greenfield will be on hand to do the honours :twisted: :twisted: ....thats it for now,more soon!!
Jolly Roger

Re: Jilles Smitts Petrel

Post by Jolly Roger »

That's exciting news about the Petrel, Jack. I'm subscribed!

Also good luck with the B4 maiden.

Rog