• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

workshop ideas

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
mick a

workshop ideas

Post by mick a »

hi
as anyone got any pics or ideas of workshop layout etc
my workbench decided to dismantle itself today (no models on board - phew! )
last bench was on wheels in centre, not sure if need that now
so just looking what you gents have , i have a medium size garage
just thinking of new ways, so i can get on with building
cheers in advance
mick
harry curzon

Re: workshop ideas

Post by harry curzon »

I use these as the basic table -
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tab ... -14630009/

Then to provide a flat, warp resistant surface I put a torsion-table top on it - aka an internal door! £30 at B&Q.

That is topped with 12.5 mm plasterboard because that takes pins so easily, is manufactured very flat, and is cheap as chips.

Finally, I put a layer of self adhesive carpet protector over the plasterboard because most glues don't stick well to the protector, e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/carpet-protection/p57058
Last edited by harry curzon on 23 May 2019, 08:30, edited 2 times in total.
harry curzon

Post by harry curzon »

A couple of years ago I made a tool trolley and it is probably the best workshop device I ever had. I am terrible for not putting tools etc back in their storage so my building table would very soon be covered in tools, glue bottles etc. This wheeled trolley has all the stuff I regularly use and it sits next to me so not only is everything to hand but it gets put back as soon as I have used it. (Got the idea from a youtube vid by the chap who was on mythbusters)
20190523_081308.jpg
harry curzon

Post by harry curzon »

These storage boxes have an internal length a fraction over 36" which makes them great for keeping balsa, piano wire/snakes, covering film rolls etc.
https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/home-s ... lids-p1721
20190523_081744.jpg
mick a

Post by mick a »

thanks gents
great ideas
i have a building board with sheet metal on as i use the magnetic system
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

Agree with all the above - I have along length of B & Q kitchen work surface which is set on two cheap kitchen units - don't bother with the doors and you can store materials in them under the bench. Take some time to get it set up dead level - they give you adjustable legs to do this. I have semi-fixed tools at one end - band saw, drill stand and grinder but enough space at other end to do a 1/4 scale wing flat - so just over 2 meters. Then have shelf above for all the often-used tools like drill bits etc. Not perfect - still trip over the other tool box occasionally but works for me.
mick a

Post by mick a »

nigel
that’s exactly what i had, but i put wheels on the bottom so i could move around
but wear and tear eventually took its tole
thanks for all your great ideas