• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Epoxy

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
RobbieB

Epoxy

Post by RobbieB »

Is anyone aware of any problems regarding the compatibility of laminating epoxy and blue foam.

I'm ready to glass the canopy plug for the M100 and I would rather do it in epoxy than polyester. Also, I wouldn't have to tape the plug first.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Epoxy

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Robbie,
I glassed my blue foam ASK21 fuselage plug using epoxy resin with no problems.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Many thanks chaps.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Robbie, I used epoxy rather than polyester for the canopy mould for my BG135. I also used cloth rather than mat thinking I was being smart. BAD MOVE!
When heated during the pulling process the epoxy shrunk and left me with a pronounced weave pattern on the finished canopy. Barry at Sarik put me right!
Brian. :)
Keith

Post by Keith »

You learn something new every day, good gen, Cliff.

Keith
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

I now make canopys from MDF

That must be a son-of-a-female-dog to carve and sand to shape?
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

And the dust will kill you.

:( :( :( :(

BC
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

B Sharp wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 18:59 Robbie, I used epoxy rather than polyester for the canopy mould for my BG135. I also used cloth rather than mat thinking I was being smart. BAD MOVE!
When heated during the pulling process the epoxy shrunk and left me with a pronounced weave pattern on the finished canopy. Barry at Sarik put me right!
Brian, are you saying both the epoxy AND the cloth is a bad idea as I was intending to use cloth?

Once glassed (two layers) I do intend finishing with P38 or similar.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Robbie, I used 3 layers of heavy weave cloth applied with laminating resin. The cloth was then rubbed back to as smooth as possible. A further coat of resin was applied and rubbed back. I suspect that if I had used mat I would have got the same result but with an imprint of the mat.
I have returned to using a blue foam core on 1/4 ply base, covered in parcel tape then fiberglass mat and polyester resin. After sanding with 60 grit it gets a coat of P38, sanded and polished to a finish.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

B Sharp wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 08:22 Robbie, I used 3 layers of heavy weave cloth applied with laminating resin. The cloth was then rubbed back to as smooth as possible. A further coat of resin was applied and rubbed back. I suspect that if I had used mat I would have got the same result but with an imprint of the mat.
I have returned to using a blue foam core on 1/4 ply base, covered in parcel tape then fiberglass mat and polyester resin. After sanding with 60 grit it gets a coat of P38, sanded and polished to a finish.
Exactly as I've done in the past Brian (only two layers of matting used) and it has produced almost perfect results albeit on easy canopies to pull:

canopy_plug1.JPG

canopy.JPG
I was just trying to avoid using polyester and mat - not nice to handle but the heating/softening of epoxy does make sense - classic method to extract a metal component from an epoxy enclosure.