• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

John Slater Airspeed Tern

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Barry Apostolou

Re: John Slater Airspeed Tern

Post by Barry Apostolou »

Hi John

Thanks very much indeed, I am doing the cockpit now, that is quite a challenge as well. keep you posted.

All the best

Barry
Last edited by Barry Apostolou on 12 Nov 2019, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Apostolou

Hi John,

I think I may have actually managed to get some pictures on this of the progress so far. My computer skills are rubbish so I have probably sent your pictures back !!! lets hope it works

Barry
Attachments
IMG_3038.JPG
IMG_3039.JPG
IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3042.JPG
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

The photo fixer strikes again......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
john slater

Post by john slater »

Evening Barry,
That's looking really nice, and the photos tell the story, well done.
I will be over the Long Mynd this weekend for our fun fly, which we are dedicating to John Watkins.
The Mynd can be a challenge but that's the fun of it, sharpens the skills of of finding the lift, or not and then admitting it's time to land before its to late and a long walk.
Happy flying
Kind regards
John
Barry Apostolou

Hi John,

Many thanks to Barry Cole for sorting out my efforts at posting pics., sorry to give you more work to do Barry. I hope you have a good time at Long Mynd this weekend in remembrance of John Watkins; and be careful of that heather, it is never as soft as it looks.

My next task is to complete the centre section of the wing (those bits that are part of the fuz). I will then move onto the tail end and get that sorted. By the time I remove the fuz. from the jig i should just have the sheeting left to do.

I post a picture of my 1/3.5 scale Chris Williams Minimoa, that I built around 10 years ago now.
2008_0225MinimoaComplete0010 - Copy.jpg
I have since also built the 1/4 scale one as well, they both fly great. I really like the CW plans and have built the Bergfalke, and Flamingo also. The wing section he uses is great and really favours the pilot, unless you really mess up it just keeps flying.

All the best

Barry A
Barry Apostolou

Hi John,

I will hopefully have attached picture of my progress to date. All the back end is now done (fin, rudder, stab, and elevator), with the top covering and the initial bits of sheeting around the cockpit completed. The wiring loom for rudder and elevator is completed and the connections through to the wing servos done and tested. I have used closed loop for the rudder and a traditional push rod for the elevator. (with built in differential). The next job will be to complete the fuselage sheeting. I am using several sections for this. I will be using two very similar color stains, in this way I hope to give the appearance of different panels as delineated by the variations in stain. These will be brought together by the final coat of clear satin varnish. At the back end the I will use 0.5 mm ply sheeting whilst at the front I am using 0.8 mm ply sheeting for greater strength. ( I have never reversed a model into the ground yet... :) In terms of the covering I am using my last bit of Antique 'Solartex', mixed with Antique 'Oratex' and using the slight color variation to try for an interesting 'patina of a real aircraft that may have had bits of covering done at different times so they will vary in color and fade. (also covering is expensive, so I am trying to be as economical as possible).

It will take me a bit of time to ply sheet all the fuselage, then it's on to the wings. So far all is going OK, and like most things we build we all know where the bits are that do not bear too much close scrutiny, but overall I am happy with what I have done.

All the best

Barry
Attachments
Tern phase 2.1.JPG
Tern phase 2.2.JPG
Tern phase 2.3.JPG
Tern phase 2.4.JPG
Tern phase 2.5.JPG
Tern phase two.JPG
Last edited by Barry Apostolou on 12 Nov 2019, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
john slater

Post by john slater »

Barry,
Thats all looking rather splendid, and brings back very fond memories for me of the original build, you are certainly making a lovely job of it and I can imagine it in flight, you will I am sure enjoy it.
Great photos, keep up the good work.
Kind regards
John
Barry Apostolou

HI, John and anyone who may be following this build,

I have now competed the fuselage ply covering, using the technique shown by John Greenfield. That is 'ironing on the ply sheets'. Much to my surprise after watching John's video on the 'tips' page it worked very well indeed. This saved a lot of 'pining down' and waiting for ages for the PVA. to set. I have used three slightly different color stains. The idea was to try and get a scale effect of different bits having different levels of fade and stain. This may not have been the best option, its OK, but I probably would not do it again and just go for one stain. I plan to use an overall 'stain wash' to get the colors more closely matched before using Poly C to get a finish. This will be after applying the decals. This will 'damp down' the color changes.

Next to do are the wing fairings attached to the fuselage, but before that I once again checked all the wiring to ensure all is still working before restricting access. In terms of the soldered multiplex plugs; what I have done is flooded the 'end bits' with Silicone to make the soldered joints more resistant to every day use, I also used 'supports' in the fairings to ensure that they are under no strain from the weight of the wiring loom. In the hope that anticipation of a problem can make things more resilient.

The main skid and the rear skid, both clad in litho plate, as well as the scale 'Pitot' tube are done and the Fuselage is near completion. I have left open from former one to the nose block to allow any ballast weight needed to be added to get the required COG. So all in all quite a satisfying build so far, with 'JUST' the wings to go.

All the best

Barry
Attachments
Fuselage pic 1.JPG
Fuselage pic 2.JPG
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Well done Barry. John's plan certainly makes a nice model
Barry Apostolou

Thanks Vince,

Yup John's plan does give the basis of a great model, with a very interesting back story re-the real ones (only two ever built) and the first broke the UK distance record along the south coast. The 'Air Speed' company was started by Neville Shute Norway, also a famous author. Who in addition designed and built the Airspeed Courier, first UK aircraft to have a retractable undercarriage.

All the best

Barry A
Attachments
IMG_3151.JPG