• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Compessor fittings

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Peter Balcombe

Compessor fittings

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Whilst adding a water filter to my old Sealey 6L tank compressor, I temporarily undid a 1/4” BSP pipe union at the tank feed to the pressure switch assembly - don’t ask why!
When refitting this union, it didn’t seem to fully tighten, then the pipe came loose in the nut!
The pics below show the two ends now.
The pipe has just a small shoulder at the end instead of an olive, whereas the tank fitting has a domed top.
Has the olive stuck in the tank fitting, or am I just trying to tighten the union up too much?

The 3rd pic shows the pressure switch end of the pipe when disconnected.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
2A19C438-67DE-4F1D-8EB3-2DDA5F5E5889.jpeg
7FFC82E5-C1F8-4350-BA01-6AA5E910CBEF.jpeg
60F9E1BB-76E4-4C99-A9E0-CCF3B67BF597.jpeg
Barry_Cole

Re: Compessor fittings

Post by Barry_Cole »

Peter,
Looking at Pics 1 & 2, that looks like a flared fitting that does not have an olive. The end of the pipe is spread in a flaring tool, and that clamps between the inside of the nut, and the end of the fitting. You have probably over tightened it over the years, and deformed the end of the copper pipe. It's difficult to re-form the pipe without the proper tool.

BC
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Thanks Barry, but that sounds a bit of a bummer as it is the first time I have touched that union - although that pipe may be prone to having been knocked due to it being on the side of the tank!!

Is it likely to be possible to reset the pipe shape locally?, else what else I could do to get a good joint as the unit is pretty much useless without it.
geoff_crew

Post by geoff_crew »

Peter, Barry's right it does appear to be a flair end (not requiring an olive) but unfortunately from what i can see from the picture the flair is not sufficient enough to retain the nut as IMHO the flair should be much more "trumpet" shaped. If you can remove the pipe and take it to a Garage workshop they might either be able to re-flair it or remake a new end for you. If you're unable to remove the pipe at the other end for some reason, then your only option is to cut the pipe off and get a new one made and solder it back on with a joiner.
Hope this helps.
Geoff
aka Motley
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Many thanks Geoff.
The pipe is totally disconnected (other end has an olive fitting into bottom of pressure switch unit) so can easily take to a garage or somewhere that can reform the end.
I will ask at my local back street garage as the guy there will probably know someone who can, even if he can’t.
Peter
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Peter, another option, is to screw a socket over the thread, then you could fit a compression fitting into the top of the socket, 90deg bend and reconnect the pipe
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Peter,
I have sent you an e-mail.

BC
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Many thanks all, but pipe end now re-flared using the appropriate tool :)
Attachments
E0B3F50B-1280-45DA-8393-C299A6299300.jpeg
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Yes, that looks spot on.

:D :D :D :D

BC
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

All back together now & holding tank pressure ok, so union must be ok again :)
Will give it a whirl with my new touch-up gun when the weather calms down a bit.