• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Scratch Built ASW17 1/3 Scale

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Chris Bowles

Scratch Built ASW17 1/3 Scale

Post by Chris Bowles »

Well it all started when Mr Brian Sharp, asked me at the Eden Valley event, whats next for my building board, not having thought much about it, I mentioned, a couple of things, then when driving home thought abit more about it, back in the early 80's, I had one of the first production ASW17 from Pat Teakle, and it flew very well, so how about a 1/3 scale, having started to draw it up, this is a big model, so ended up with a scale of 1/3.25, this will fit in the car, and a wingspan of 6.1 mtr, meant that the foam I had matched the span, if I make another lost foam fuz, I would use the Blue/Grey foam, not what I used, found it hard work to get the shape right, easy to take to much off, plus not a lot of stiffness down the back end, ended up putting carbon tows down the length, also drinking straws, to take the wiring
6 layers of 160g twill cloth has produced a fairly stiff fuz,
Chris
Attachments
20190607_125407.jpg
20190624_124124.jpg
roo Hawkins

Re: Scratch Built ASW17 1/3 Scale

Post by roo Hawkins »

Nice work
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Thank's Roo, you are partly to blame for the build, I have messed about making small parts for planes using the lost foam method, but then I saw what you where doing, so thought why not give it a go, it is a learning process, but fun, a bit more progress with the fuz, carbon tows around the canopy opening,
tailplane, cut, and fitted to the fin
Chris
Attachments
20190810_130253.jpg
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I would like to make it known from the outset that I bear no responsibility what so ever for this mad persons wish to build an ASW17 from scratch. I would rather attribute all blame to Roos influence.
By the way Chris, did I do something wrong that I get my full "Sunday " name.
Brian. :lol:
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

No, you have done nothing wrong, but if I had said I was talking to Brian, somebody would have asked, Brian Who?? Roo can't take all the blame, as you know, us lot down south can be a bit strange
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Thanks. I am glad you have been looking at my theads and are having a go. I think you are right to use white foam it is a lot easier on a 1/3 scale to shape and to remove. Blue foam is now getting harder to find as it is not made now. How are you planning on doing the wings? Yes all the you lot down south are mad. Roo :D
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Hi Roo, when I was making the wings for the ASW 15, plan calls for foam inserts between the ribs, I didn't have enough blue foam, what a job trying to get some more, they where happy to supply a artic full, but a few sheet was a no no, did find one company that would supply, only prob was the £ 75 std carriage charge, did eventually get some from Ebay, but grey xps foam, seems the same apart from the colour
as for the wings, the foam being 600mm wide, 10 pieces give me the 6mtr wing, and being a 4 section wing, the inboard panel is made up of 3 panels, plus 600mm is a nice lenght to cut, just have to make a few more wing templates, the main wing joiner is 20mm, I can get enough dihedral on the wing to use a straight joiner, using 6mm full depth spruce spar, capped top and bottom with 2 layers of 25mm carbon tape, then 80g class cloth then obeich veneer
Chris
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Hi l have made a lot of foam veneer and compesit wings now. Using various methods there is pros and cons with all of them. I do not know if you have a hot wire cuter I whould consider just makeing a foam wind no point in the ribs use them has templates . The best method I have found for spars is carbon tow I use soft wood srip with 2 pins at each end plus 3 in the middle and go round them with the tow then epoxy. More tow at the root to the middle and less from the middle to the tip.I use 1 roll of 50m of 12k tow per spar costs about £6 a roll. I use 2 spars per wing cutting out the foam with a hot chisel then cut off the d box and glue a ply web in a lay a layer of carbon plane weve tape along it.then glue the d box back on.my ash 31 I am adding a carbon ud 100gm cloth around the d box only used a sq meter. before veneer is added. Lots of photos on my ash 31 thead. Roo
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Have been making the most of the hot weather, good time to start the wings, have made the inboard sections, pic shows first panel in the vacbag
Attachments
20190823_101810.jpg
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Seeing we still have nice weather here, thought it might be prudent to put what I have built so far, together to check that everything lines up, the bottom skins still need to be fitted, fortunately everything lined up, so can now fit the bottom skins
Attachments
20190902_115557.jpg