• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SZD PIRAT

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
barrieburton34

SZD PIRAT

Post by barrieburton34 »

I have aquired 1/4 scale fibreglass fuselage of the Pirat,plus a very,very faded plan.The fus only weighs in at 2 lbs(about a kilo for the younger members).The drawing seems to show a Clark Y wing section.I am going to electrify it(shock,horror).Any thought on a suitable wing section?I would like it to fly in a scale like manner
Jilles

Re: SZD PIRAT

Post by Jilles »

try profile HQ32## for scale behavior. The ## to suit the wing thickness in %% to suit the fuse wing stub. Suggest 14% at the root and 12% at the tip
One of the forum members just finished his ASW15 from my design at fly's very well with the same suggested profile.
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Thank you jillies just seen your reply,I will see what it looks like.14% at root seems about for blending in with the fuz.

Barrie B
Richard Farrer

Post by Richard Farrer »

If you look at my build thread of the Pirat you will see lots of helpful information and several pictures of the wing section. Mine was built from the Tony Slocumbe plan. It flies in a very stately manner and will stay up in light lift off the slope. I just love the shape of the Pirat and it looks great in the air.
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

One year on (it is a good job that I have been on lockdown for 16 weeks) The Pirat had its first flight a couple of weeks ago.Wind the right way (open fields ahead),mown strip,model on dolly,batteries charged,cycle clips on,off it went,only to do a beautiful loop above my head.Model damaged,but no one else.Everything is now repaired,ready for round two.In my defence,a gust of wind occured at the start of the run,also I was feeding in some up to get it off the dolly.
I have rechecked the rigging angles,but it is not easy,both wing and tail platforms are flat,but the wing and tail sections are not.The flat tail mounting is -3.3 degrees relative to the flat wing mounting.Before I fly again I will do a more accurate check.
I suspect that tee tail design does not help rapid elevator response.
All for now,weather permitting flight no two next week
Barrie Burton