• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SZD Wampir II - looking for experiences

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
erikvanderkooij

SZD Wampir II - looking for experiences

Post by erikvanderkooij »

There used to be a building review / thread of the 5m SZD 20x Wampir II on this forum. It seems to be gone. I'm looking for flying experiences with this plane. A friend of mine owns one, however he's having trouble flying it. Any info that can help is welcome!!
"When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!" - William Blake
erikvanderkooij

Re: SZD Wampir II - looking for experiences

Thanks for you reply Cliff.
Just to be sure, do you know the exact cog of the plane in the video? Is it adjusted compared to hte 446 mm from LE in the plan (see attachment)?
As you already stated, it is very critical when it comes tot the CG.
COG-LAYOUT.pdf
(46.62 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
"When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!" - William Blake
erikvanderkooij

great!
davinja

Post by davinja »

Hi, I have two questions regarding the model WAMPIR II:
1) what are suggested aileron and elevator deflections for the model WAMPIR II ?
2) Erik refers to a build review in his first post, is there any chance to access to it? I am about to build this model and that review would help.
Thanks
davinja

Post by davinja »

Thanks Cliff, will certainly contact Rich
Rich vale

Post by Rich vale »

davinja wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 11:22 Hi, I have two questions regarding the model WAMPIR II:
1) what are suggested aileron and elevator deflections for the model WAMPIR II ?
2) Erik refers to a build review in his first post, is there any chance to access to it? I am about to build this model and that review would help.
Thanks
Hi
The model flies with ELEVONS, the inboard control surfaces are reversed in sense and only change nose up (surface down) and down (surface up)attitude without climbing or diving.
The ELEVONS have approx. 6mm reflex and move 30mm up and 15mm down. This is sedate and these may be increased to suit personal tastes.
The Wampir II does have a narrow speed envelope. Slow it to much, it will drop a wing but is easy to recover with a small loss of height. Over speed it and it will oscillate laterally between the fin bases but soon recovers when speed is reduced.
I may have some photos from the original build and if needed I will try and search them out.
davinja

Post by davinja »

Thank you very much Rich for the info provided
David