• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
B Sharp

Re: 1/5 Scale Slingsby T51 Dart 17.

Post by B Sharp »

Well the Dart 17 build is now officially over.
After a moulded lump of lead weighing 570gm was added to the nose the final weight of the model came in at 2.86kg (6lb 4oz in old money). This gave a wing loading of 18oz/ft2. I am quietly pleased with this weight and loading as it will be easy to carry up my local hill and should have a reasonable light wind performance.
I have attached a pile of photos to this post showing the fully assembled model. The photo of the tail end shows the much modified fin and rudder which I think justifies the effort involved as it looks just right to me. I was a little worried that the centre section/wing joint area would look a little strange but the photo from above shows that I managed to achieve the classic Dart outline.
The only thing left to do is fly the model. I would ideally like a 8mph to 12mph West to South-westerly with no rain and not too cold. When I do manage the maiden and if I get some photo I will post them in the “Who’s building what for” thread.
A Very Happy and Contented Brian. :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Sitting Pretty.
Sitting Pretty.
Dart 66.jpg
Nose and cockpit.
Nose and cockpit.
Modified fin and rudder detail.
Modified fin and rudder detail.
The limited cockpit detail.
The limited cockpit detail.
Classic Dart centre section shape.
Classic Dart centre section shape.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Very nice Brian :)
I’m sure that it will fly very nicely.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Another cracking job Brian!

Being surrounded by flat terrain only relieved by volcanoes which are covered in trees or vineyards, and so un-flyable, I'm very envious of your slope - what a wonderful view.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks Stephen. Yes it is a super slope with a great view down the River Tay valley. Its the only and best Easterly slope in a 60 mile radius of where I live and only 10 minutes drive from my house. It curves round to the West where it becomes a southerly slope as well. The only problem with most Scottish hills is that they also involve a 15 to 20 minute walk, usually uphill. Hey Ho, it keeps me fit.
Brian. :)
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

Brian, super job, looks great.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Looks great mate.what are you building next.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks Roo. I lost (quite literally! ) my 2.00m electric thermal model quite recently. This was my go-to model for relaxed flying from my garden so it had to be replaced asap. A nice new semi kit from the Czech Rep. is now taking shape on the workbench and should be operational by early December. After that I have another scale job lined up - one that I have never modelled before!
Brian. :)