• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/3 scale Japanese vintage glider Mita type 3

Let us all watch your new project progress.
norm

Re: 1/3 scale Japanese vintage glider Mita type 3

Post by norm »

Martin, thank you for your comment. You can see more picture in my blog. Although it is written in Japanese, you may possible to understand by viewing pictures. Please try!

http://normsan.blog.fc2.com/archives.html

Added by moderator

For English Translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... hives.html
norm

Post by norm »

Let me show you my 1/3 scale Mita's beautiful flight over the rice fields. This view is taken from a drone.

[youtube][/youtube]

I belive the scenery is quite different from those of Europe. Did you enjyoy it?
norm

Post by norm »

Wing Build

The wing is composed of four sections, 2 center sections and 2 outboad sections. The full scale Mita has a single center section but I have broken it in two sections because of ease for transportation. It has a single spar at 35%C and an auxiliary spar in front of the airlon. The spar was built with a square carbon tube frange and a plywood web.
Each section was built on an assembly jig. Total weight of the wing is about 4 Kg after covering and painting.
Attachments
wing plan
wing plan
Wing assembling jig
Wing assembling jig
assembling outer wing
assembling outer wing
assembled wing
assembled wing
Last edited by norm on 19 Nov 2019, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Super vids (and model) Norm - always nice to see something a bit different.

Quite a 'tight' flying field you have there but I suspect Rog would still be a bit envious :lol:

It will be interesting to see how the epoxied joints stand the test of time re Adam C's point - do please keep us informed.
norm

Post by norm »

Adam C and RobbieB, Thanks for your comments. I will check the epoxied joints before every flight and inform you if anything wrong would be found.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

What a beautifully engineered model and a really atmospheric video. I love the long shadows and rich sunlight of early morning / late evening.

Yes that landing area is a little cosy! But the model was flown very skillfully.

I experimented with gluing carbon tubes together for my 1/3 scale cub undercarriage and found the joints far too fragile for the shock of landing loads, so I created the strength from the carbon tows and epoxy pulled through the tubes. However I think in a large interconnected frame like your fuselage, the parts support each other so I think it may be strong enough.

One last thing - I hope you took great care to avoid breathing in the carbon dust as it is highly toxic. :)

Thanks for posting.
Roger
Attachments
Main frames.jpg
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Some further info on the Mita...
Attachments
Mita.jpg
norm

Post by norm »

Rojer, Thank you for your comment.
Yes our field is small because Japn is composed from small mountainious islands. There is little open space.
How I want to fly my models in Europe!

Norm
norm

Post by norm »

Landing Gear
The Mita has a landing gear which has a single wheel supported by two rubber shock absorbers. I simulated it in my model.
Attached, you can find the drawing, parts cutted from carbon sheet/pipe and the assembled gear.
Attachments
Landing Gear Drawing
Landing Gear Drawing
Parts of the L/G
Parts of the L/G
L/G Assy
L/G Assy
Last edited by norm on 19 Nov 2019, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
norm

Post by norm »

Horizontal Tail

Horizontal tail of the 1/3 Mita is a quite conventional one, made of balsa ribs and spars. The stabilizer is planked with balsa sheet. The elevator has diagonal ribs and is not planked. Right elevator has a dummy tab. Elevator hinges are made of carbon plate, acrylic plate and bamboo rods. Both stabilizer and elevator were build on the jigs.
Attachments
Horizontal Tail Plan
Horizontal Tail Plan
Elevator Jig
Elevator Jig
Elevator Parts
Elevator Parts
Elevator Completed
Elevator Completed
H-Stab. with Elev. Hinges
H-Stab. with Elev. Hinges
H-Tail Assy