• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Breguet Fauvette

Let us all watch your new project progress.
StephenB

Re: Breguet Fauvette

Post by StephenB »

Progress as of late has been lacklustre due to a bout of the dreaded man flu. Back on course now, finally the upper half of the fuselage sheeting is finished and the model has been removed from the jig:
IMG_0054.jpeg

A 3mm liteply tray has been fixed between formers F1 and F2, the upper half will carry the Rx battery and the lower half will have the tow release servo fitted to it:
IMG_0053.jpeg

Aileron carefully removed from the lefthand wing using razor saw and scalpel:
IMG_0051.jpeg

Starting to figure out the mechanics of the Frise ailerons, an aileron horn has been fashioned from Paxolin which will have it's connection point in the centre of the radius of the upper aileron spar, Robart hinge pins will be located behind the lower spar. It's all very tight in the aileron and wing trailing edge so careful and fiddly work is needed to stand some chance of getting smooth movement of the flying surface:
IMG_0060.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Looking very nice Stephen.
Best of luck with the Frise ailerons, but they do look very good when you get it working.
Peter
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

A little more progress on the "Warbler". The aileron for the right wing was sanded to profile, hinge points located and dry fitted to the wing. I couldn't arrange the internal mechanism to actuate the aileron so had to settle for an external pushrod connected to a fibreglass control horn - the space within the wing and the aileron wouldn't allow for enough of an angle to push the internal horn. But after a lot of effort it works and mimics the fullsize Frise aileron, the left hand aileron should be a lot quicker:

IMG_0072.jpeg

The servo was then hot glued in to position and closed off:

IMG_0071.jpeg

Blanks cut from hard balsa for the wing tips, I will probably glass and paint these:

IMG_0073.jpeg

Wheel fairing carved from soft balsa:

IMG_0075.jpeg

Tail cone carved from soft balsa, hollowed out and bonded to the rearmost Paxolin former using Pattex Stabilit Express:

IMG_0076.jpeg

And finally we have a pilot!

IMG_0074.jpeg
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

A bit more progress to report, tow release servo installed, connected and checked to be working. It failed after 30 minutes of running on the sevo tester so was replaced (Turnigy MG servo - good job I ordered two)!

IMG_0081.jpeg

The nose block slowly built up with hard balsa and roughly carved, fitting in weights wherever I can:

IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_0089.jpeg

Finally the fuselage is completely planked:

IMG_0084.jpeg

Fully riggeed the airframe, and all the internal parts to get an idea of where the CoG is and how much lead I'm likely to need:

IMG_0087.jpeg

One last little job at the end of the day, Rx switch fixed behind instrument panel:
IMG_0091.jpeg
Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack »

Is there going to be a hatch to replace the aero tow servo the next time it fails?
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Tom Pack wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 02:48 Is there going to be a hatch to replace the aero tow servo the next time it fails?
No Tom, that's the first servo I've had fail on me in forty plus years so I'll trust that the curent rate of failure means I'm good for another forty years :lol: Same applies to my wing and rudder/elevator servos - they are all buried within the structure, worse case scenario I have to dig them out and make good.

I envisage flying this mainly from the slope anyway so the tow release I could live without if I had to.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

I've covered the fuselage in 25gsm glass cloth and Eze-Kote, one application on to the bare wood, another to apply the cloth, sand back and then a final coat which was also sanded back with 500 grit to produce a nice smooth finish prior to painting. Whilst I accept it isn't as tough as epoxy I think for this application it will be fine and was very quick and easy to apply.

The cockpit interior has been painted out prior to fitting the "furniture":
IMG_0102.jpg

And I've resolved the spring steel tailskid issue by making it from piano wire, bent in to a thin "U" shape and then formed to shape before epoxying in to a plywood mounting box (as per the full size). To make it appear solid I've simply covered it in heatshrink:

IMG_0101.jpg
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Steady progress, but with a lot of fiddly jobs and waiting for paint to dry it doesn't seem to amount to much.

Canopy frame roughed out from 3mm birch ply:
IMG_0108.jpeg

Finished to shape and size, corner fillets from glass cloth and epoxy prior to covering the inner surfaces in glass cloth and Eze-Kote:
IMG_0110.jpeg

Brass tubing added for scale canopy support and painting commenced:
IMG_0112.jpeg

Fuselage hung in the car port (good test of the nose release)! and primer applied, the paint finish is a rattle can job:
IMG_0113.jpeg
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Good progress Stephen! This is the bit that seems to take ages - don't hurry it, enjoy the process and the finished model will look so much better. There is nothing wrong with rattle cans by the way - I use them all the time.
Brian. :)
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Looking good