• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

WHO'S BUILDING WHAT FOR 2020...?

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Mike F

Re: WHO'S BUILDING WHAT FOR 2020...?

Post by Mike F »

Good job, Harry!
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

The Mini airframe nears completion...
Attachments
P1060183 copy.jpg
P1060185 copy.jpg
Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack »

chris williams wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 12:45 The Mini airframe nears completion...
What’s that? Number 673 Minimoia’s to date? Looking good!
SteveArchibald

Post by SteveArchibald »

Hi all and Happy New year to all.

I am hoping to complete and fly my 1/3 Ikarus Meteor which is maybe 10-15% complete and then start some preliminary planning for my next build which will be the Horten III.

Should be very interesting :)

Kind Regards
Steve
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Some pictures of my Raab Kraehe (Crow). need to do some electric work and a final balancing act.
Mainden flight 25-01-20
scale 1:3 that makes it 4m wing span
Scorpion S-4045-12 outrunner on two parralel 5S-5000 lipos.
15x10 prop
fying weight 10kg
Attachments
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG (68.71 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG (73.39 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Nice one, Jilles... I also love the fact that you can specify a maiden a fortnight in advance and know that the weather will be up for it.
On that basis, I'm going to specify a date for the maiden of my Minimoa...sometime in the next five years!
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

chris williams wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 09:53 Nice one, Jilles... I also love the fact that you can specify a maiden a fortnight in advance and know that the weather will be up for it.
On that basis, I'm going to specify a date for the maiden of my Minimoa...sometime in the next five years!
If you are lucky!! lol
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

I can be reasonably confident of a date for the maiden. The last Saturday of the month is always a scale towing day in my club.
I changed clubs this year because it is inland and does not have the those restrictions of my previous club close to Brisbane like 1000ft height limit and a 500 m max distance from the pilot box. My new club is glider orientated. 2000 ft and 1000 m distance. these limits are fine for me. any more and you get troubles seeing the model and loosing control.
The weather is most of the times fine. reasons for not flying is in Summer a thunderstorm or high wind
Fortunately we are far away from the bush fires now so no haze or groundings due to water bombers flying around.

The Raab Crow is over 7 kg, that means it has to be structurally and electrically inspected by a qualified inspector. and I have to perform a test flight to show I can handle the model. Any other pilot that wants to fly my over 7kg models have to do a test flight in presence of an inspector and his or her name listed on the Models airworthiness form
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

At the moment I am in the process of designing a scale 1:3.125 Schleicher K8. This is a project for myself for a change. Planning to start the built in June or so. The scale may sound a bit odd but at 4.8m wing span I can transport is in my little truck. My K6E design is the same scale so it will match each other. The K6E is my best performing scale glider and it is expected that the K8 will perform the same.
I will make the design available on the SSUK website. If I am in the mood I might do a built thread
Attached some pictures of the computer design to-date. about 50% is done
I will built the K8 version with the smaller canopy with an option for other builders to built the K8B with the larger canopy
The reasons I built the smaller canopy is that not many models are around with this smaller version and it will fit my vacuum forming machine.
Those that wish to built the model in future with the larger canopy can order the canopy of my ASK18 design. That will fit nicely. see attached picture

for myself I will built it with a propellor and electric motor. Before hell brakes loose it will have a tow hook as well. Two little nose cones for 3D printing will be available for both options. Removing the prop with prop adapter and changing the nose cone will make it a pure glider.
The motor stays in place, need the nose weight anyway so I make this extra weight useful.
Attachments
K8-1.pdf
(337.58 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
K8-2.pdf
(271.63 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
ASK18-CANOPY.pdf
(373.84 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Good Idea to do the nose so that the motor can be covered and disguised for slope flying.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk