• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Frisch Wiggler.

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Elliot Howells

Frisch Wiggler.

Post by Elliot Howells »

Finally getting round to my latest and greatest Wilga, or my mid life crisis model.

The Saito FG90R3 radial fits like it was made for it, and will hopefully negate the need for any lead...

As usual, it’ll probably take me years, but I thought if I posted a picture or two you guys could goad me into action!

Cheers, Ell.
Attachments
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
John Vella

Re: Frisch Wiggler.

Post by John Vella »

Elliot Howells wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 21:03 Finally getting round to my latest and greatest Wilga, or my mid life crisis model

Elliot you are to young to even be approaching a mid life crisis. I like the motor!
Regards John 😁😁
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

You old charmer John! ;)

The engine is a real beauty, fits like a glove too without hacking away at the cowl.
I may get a keleo collector ring, or make one as per the Wizard of Oz!

Hope to see you soonish on the Mynd.

Ell.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Just in the process of ordering 'proper' shocks for the wilga from www.wemo-ezfw.de - some really nice products if you're in the market for glider U/C too.

I'll post pics as soon as they land.

Ell.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

Elliot, make sure you have the cooling etc absolutely spot on for the engine, friend has just had a very expensive repair of his Saito R33, which lost a crankpin. Not the first apparently, and some have fitted a mod to ensure better fuel distribution to the cylinders to ensure they run at an even temp.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Thanks Frank, noted.

I aim to fit the very characteristic air control flaps on the cowl and blanks in the voids between cylinders too, hopefully the inlet area then should not be too great. I may fit some sensors for cylinder head telemetry too, wouldn't hurt. Haven't run this engine yet, very excited to hear it for the first time :)

You coming to wales for some towing?

Ell.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Spurred on by Pawnee loss, the 1/4 wiggler is coming along nicely. I'll take some photos this week and post to the thread, there's nowt as dull as a thread with no piccies.

I have made great strides with wing one, which has taken a while, working out servo location and geomtery, wing 2 will be a simple copy. All servos are hitec HV metal gear, with ball joints and 3mm rod, none will be visible, with fairly scale like control arms visible, no servo arms; nothing ruins a scale model like a servo poking through the wing...

I have fitted the really, really swish sprung dampers, the deflated gas springs are off to the bin, a scale tailwheel is on it's way from ~Tomahawk aviation, which if I can't make fit, will go on the 30% and I'll make a copy if I can find a suitable shock.

Trying to judge whether to mass balance the elevators, bit worried it might make the tail heavy and as I've never suffered from flutter on the slow flying wiggler, I'd be surprised if I need them.

Ell.
Last edited by Elliot Howells on 30 Apr 2019, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

some pics of the shocks.
Attachments
IMG_9363.JPG
IMG_9364.JPG
IMG_9365.JPG
IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Does anyone bond (sic) in their wilga windows?

I did think I might use high quality clear silicone, but if it's not required, I'd rather the windows were easily removable.

Ta, Ell.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Just started my Saito radial for the first time ever.

Thankfully a non-event, just the laborious process of running in now...

really chuffed though, sounds like a proper airplane.

Cheers, Ell.