• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

tips on setting incidence

Let us all watch your new project progress.
mick a

tips on setting incidence

Post by mick a »

hi
gents any tips on setting up incidence for wings / tail plane
it’s for the minimoa 2a kit from chris
i’ve already installed the box section in fuse as instructed so it’s all at 90% to fuse , so will i have to adjust incidence by tail plane .?
as don’t want to put strain on root rib
or just place rooot rib where it shows on plan
any ideas would be great, as pulling hair out at minute 😠😠😠😠
thanks
mick
John Vella

Re: tips on setting incidence

Post by John Vella »

Mick, there is no real problem here. The wing incidence is fixed at the fuselage root fairing. The tailplane is set at 1.5 to 2 deg negative incidence to the wing. The tailplane in normal flight is producing stabilising download. When trimmed out the leading edge of the tailplane can be packed so the elevator is flying in a neutral position in normal flight. This procedure is not to be confused with C of G and Static margin. Regards John.
mick a

Post by mick a »

hi john
thanks for that ,what my puzzle was setting the wing at 1.2-2 deg while keeping tailplane at zero , but will set wings first and work from there
cheers mick
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Mick, the wing joiner box should be set at the correct angle, as per the drawing?
Aeromodelling has a long history of packing up the LE or TE of the tailplane to achieve the correct incidence, and I've done that more than a few times myself. The setting of the wing in the fuselage determines the 'sit' of the fuselage in flight. it's sometimes instructive to look at extremes: If the wing is set at a very high angle relative to the fuselage, then the glider will have a very distinct nose down attitude in flight, and conversely, a negative angle would produce a nose-high attitude in flight...
Attachments
mo2a fuz.jpg
mick a

Post by mick a »

thanks Chris
have done exactly as you have drawn so should be spot on
on another note, did you use 1.5 mm for the root rib on the fuse, as there is a root rib in the kit that is 5 mm, i was thinking of using that , any thoughts
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

5mm sounds a bit thick, but I guess the extra weight won't make much difference... Check the Petrel build thread: I'll being doing the root rib sequence very soon.