• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

chord alignment

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Elliot Howells

chord alignment

Post by Elliot Howells »

More questions...

I'm using a set of wings I have already off a hunkydory and these will plug into a new titan fuz - I'm assuming the wing chord line should be at the same angle as the fuz datum, from what I've read over the years this is my distillation. Am I barking up the wrong tree? I may well make the tail incidence adjustable and fix once I'm happy with the flight characteristics, but want the holes in the wing root to be right first time.

The fuz datum is conveniently the straight line above the root (if you've never looked at a titan plan).

I'd appreciate the hive's input on this.

Thanks a lot, Ell.
Attachments
IMG_1025.jpg
RobbieB

Re: chord alignment

Post by RobbieB »

Elliot,

The important thing is the relationship between the wing and tailplane incidence although how this is set will affect how the model 'sits' in the air.

You will need to know what incidence the Titan's (or the Hunkydory's) wing is designed to fly at, and that incidence is today, generally considered to be measured at the chord line. Once that is determined the tail incidence is set at 0 degrees relative to this wing incidence. What that should be for a powered tug I have no idea but generally speaking we usually have our scale gliders set at around 1.5 degrees positive - give or take.

If the tailplane is set at 0 degrees relative to the fuz datum then it will be ok to set the main wing at some positive incidence to that - whatever that should be for a Hunkydory wing.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Elliot,
I have asked Chris what he had on the Hunkyd...

BC
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

This from Chris:-

That's an easy one, the wing is semi symmetrical and set a 0 deg.

Hope that helps.

BC
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Thanks Barry and Robbie :)

Really enjoying bashing balsa after years of composite tosh.

Ell :)