• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

self starters

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Elliot Howells

Re: self starters

Post by Elliot Howells »

Hi Ian,

thanks, that's really good data. It might get to the stage where I'm badgering engineers to make me a ring, surely there must be source already? I'm thinking go-cart drive sprockets... thanks also for the cutter info.

I'll let you know how I get on :)
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

so, I managed to find a crown wheel, from a 200cc Simonini paramotor!

It's fractionally smaller ID than a DLE111 prop driver OD, so, as that's the engine I'll be using as a test bed I've got a good plan to make it fit, just need to up my lathing game and possibly buy some more cutting bits...

i've now spent just over £100 on bits, but feel it will be a much more satisfactory starter assembly than the one-way bearing jobs, also I don't think anyone makes those for the DLE 170.

More soon, Ell.
Attachments
IMG_1106.jpg
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

BC, yeah, I've seen that one, it's horrendous. Plastic gears all over the shop.

You know how often a car starter motor assembly fails? almost never, that's what I'm after.

The EME one way bearing system is neat, but still not cheap or robust - MVVS and ZDZ have the right idea, I don't understand why it's not more often adopted.

Ell.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I didn't say it was good, just available....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Elliot , enclosed photo of the Fiem starter fitted to my two thirds scale Hanriot WW1 biplane. The alloy starter ring is fitted to the front of the steel reduction drive pulley which is mounted on the JPX crankshaft .
My tig welded home made steel silencer has a half round cutout in the top surface so that the Fiem unit can be mounted below the motor which works well and sounds good. I hope detail helps and good luck with your unit
IMG_20200314_192108925.jpg
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Thanks again Ian,

out of interest, do you use a relay or or microswitch for your starter?

Ell.
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Elliot , I use a Burgess say 10/15 amp micro switch which is operated by a "D" shaped servo disc/servo which is wired into the coil circuit of a 90 amp auto motive relay . Additionally I add a hand operated safety switch switch (Apen switch ) on the model which breaks the coil circuit.
I also have a second micro switch/servo for the ignition with a small 6 volt buzzar which sounds when the ignition is on/live.
The choke is also servo operated .
The above are available from Farnall or Radio spares.
I use XT 90 connectors for the start battery and leave these disconnected until the last moment .
The Lipo start battery is mounted in a wooden tray which has a tongue at the front and a "wing bolt " so that the battery/box can be secured in the model but easily /quickly removed for charging/storage .
Recommend a good quality high C rated Lipo start battery .
The main thing with an on board starter is that you need to develop a safe routine when using the starter and stick to it each time , don't be rushed or distracted , keep every one behind the prop and your helper needs to fully understands exactly what you are doing.
Good luck and be safe
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Thanks again Ian, you're very kind!

I have however cheated... i've bought a 100 amp starter relay like this:

https://www.rapidrcmodels.com/electric- ... 4807-p.asp

Just need to get the prop driver on the lathe and mount the starter ring next, I'll let you know how I get on.

Ell.
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Elliot , it (the relay in the middle of the unit)looks very similar to the relay I use , neat idea and reasonable cost , something to remember/use on next project .