• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Full size flying in South NZ

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Barry_Cole

Full size flying in South NZ

Post by Barry_Cole »

This from a Canadian mate. Flies full scale tugs and gliders. Just back from holiday in OZ and NZ

Way too scary for me...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
Jolly Roger

Re: Full size flying in South NZ

Post by Jolly Roger »

So that's basically what I dream about. ;)

I went there in '97 hoping to hitch a ride but conditions were unflyable. To make matters worse, my retired neighbour goes every year and brings back photos. I am SO H A P P Y for him. :cry:
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I know those rising vario beeps are meant to be a source of reassurance but, when flying close to the mountains, they seemed to trigger the bit of my brain that deals with parking sensors, which had the opposite effect!
Philkiteflyer

Post by Philkiteflyer »

Jolly Roger wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 19:49 So that's basically what I dream about. ;)

I went there in '97 hoping to hitch a ride but conditions were unflyable. To make matters worse, my retired neighbour goes every year and brings back photos. I am SO H A P P Y for him. :cry:
Jealous much "Jolly Roger"? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Omarama is 4 1/2 hrs down the road from me. I have been there 3 times in my life. Last time was for an Aerotow event 2 years ago.
Great site.

Get there . . you won't regret it.

great video Barry.

Cheers
Phillip C
Invercargill
South Island
New Zealand. 8-)
"Keep it simple stupid"
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Wow.... Thanks for link Barry :D

I dreamt of doing mountain flying like that when I could fly, started on the apprenticeship at Talgarth, ridge bashing the Welsh uplands to progress to the Alps, but never happened sadly :(
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

This Omarama filed is the same were every year during the Anzac day weekend there is a 3 day Scale model towing event. In general there are 20+ pilots. I have been there most years lately but this year it is not happening. Even for models the lift is everywhere and we had some waves as well.
No need to de-rig the models overnight. They were parked in the hangar between the full scales
Attachments
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG