• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Schleicher K8 Built by Jilles

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

Schleicher K8 Built by Jilles

Post by Jilles »

The K8 build has started in earnest. Attached some pictures. the tail bits are first. First sorted the parts and checked them with the drawing.
Because it is the first build of this plan there will be little things coming out I did forget to include in the parts or on drawing. This will be rectified as I go.
The parts were not cut by my standard supplier but an other outlet. As a return favor I got it at cost. Apart from balsa everything is cut on 900x300mm ply sheets. the parts stay in the parent sheet by means of little bridges you have to cut with a sharp knife to take the parts out. The overall dimensions means that it can be posted by Australia post instead of a more expensive courier. Also it is a nice flat-pack without loose parts that could be damaged during transport.
Made the stab spar sub assembly. The stab-elevator is fitted to the fuse to scale
Two pins on the stab spar go into receiver bushes in the fuse. Because of space restrictions the pin lugs on the ply spar are not that big. I decided to epoxy a layer of 0.5mm aluminium sheet over the lugs, recessed into plywood.see pictures S2. I do not want to loose a stab-elevator in flight.
The stab is built flat on the board with support stabs on the spar and ribs they will be removed after the top planking is in place.
The elevator is built standing up. The advantage of NC cutting is that with little tabs and holes it all goes into the right place.
Attachments
box1.jpg
box2.jpg
box4.jpg
E1.jpg
E2.jpg
E3.jpg
S1.jpg
S2.jpg
S3.jpg
S4.jpg
Cliff Evans

Re: Schleicher K8 Built by Jilles

Post by Cliff Evans »

Great to see you start this one Jilles. Got someone over here that is going to build this one and the Blanik L13 that you are drawing for me. Have you got the 3d printed parts for the K8 yet? they print very well.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Some progress on the K8 tail bits. The rudder is completed little things to do on the stab/elevator
I prefer a rudder that can be removed when required. There are 3 Robart 3/16" hinges in the rudder. The pin was removed and a 1/16" spring steel rod will fit. The spring steel rudder hinge pin is nearly the full length of the rudder height A 3/32"x0.014 aluminium tube of K&S is located inside the balsa rudder LE between the hinges. This tube will guide the rudder pin so it enters the hinge holes . The rudder LE has a rough radius sanded to it. fine tuning will be rquired when it is fitted to the fin.
The rudder horns are made from 1 mm aluminium strip The rudder complete is 96 grams excluding cover film and paint
Attachments
R1B.jpg
R2.jpg
R2B.jpg
R3.jpg
R4.jpg
R5.jpg
S5.jpg
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Started the fuselage. The fuse assembly is more or less self rigging. half of the formers have a stand/support with an arrow at the bottom indication the center-line. alu angels keeps them in place on the board on top of the drawing top view. The elevator crank and push rod is in place, The rod supported at regular intervals in the fuse. The free movement of elevator was checked.
With the laser cut files it all goes together fast. Now the little items can start and will take some more time
Attachments
main former assembly
main former assembly
sample of support formers
sample of support formers
formers  set in place
formers set in place
IMG_20200506_121104.jpg
IMG_20200506_121116.jpg
elevator crank in place
elevator crank in place
IMG_20200513_124620.jpg
push rod support
push rod support
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

This model can either be towed or takeoff under its own power on a dolly
the Brushless motor will be a permanent feature. On the field I can remove the prop assembly and change the nose cone from the motor to glider configuration. The motor shaft will then simulate the dynamic pressure tube as scale details dictates.
Attachments
glider nose configuration
glider nose configuration
motor nose configuration
motor nose configuration
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

some progress, I fitted balsa support between the front formers at the top in front of the canopy opening, this is a considerable compound curve. Instead of fitting ply strips and sanding I decided to glass the surface. Less work and actually as per original. The fin has been planked with 0.4mm ply and all the other top planking is in place. The supports on some formers for building the fuse on the building board can be removed but it is easier to leave them on while building the canopy frame
After the canopy frame is completed I will turn things around and finish the bottom planking.
Attachments
IMG_20200520_093604.jpg
IMG_20200520_093610.jpg
IMG_20200520_100838.jpg
IMG_20200527_131729.jpg
IMG_20200527_131737.jpg
IMG_20200527_131803.jpg
jack

Post by jack »

Nice work jilles!!!,l was very interested to read that you have access to "aluminium angels"for the fuselage build :lol: :lol: :lol: ,a little divine assistance perhaps ;) ;) ,maybe you could send some to cliff ;) ;) ;) ,stay safe,jack.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

jack wrote: 29 May 2020, 17:13 Nice work jilles!!!,l was very interested to read that you have access to "aluminium angels"for the fuselage build :lol: :lol: :lol: ,a little divine assistance perhaps ;) ;) ,maybe you could send some to cliff ;) ;) ;) ,stay safe,jack.
You can get the angles from B&Q! I know it's difficult for you as you don't get out much!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Next report, the fuse has been set aside because it is as good as complete.To finish the fuse I need wings. Started with the Air brakes. They are Sempth Hirth type, means top & bottom, they are scratch built because ready made are is available to scale . I had brass arms in mind but had them 3D printed. In the Uk they made one arm with a spline hole so they are direct mounted to a servo. I decided not to go that way. Brass bushes are super glued in the arm to make them wear proof, These are just standard K&S brass tubes.. the blade sides are 0.8mm ply NC cut with a 1/4" balsa bar between those. 0.8mm ply washers are glued inside the blades for increased bearing surface to fix the blade pins. I had these also NC cut. Needed only 16 but had 20 cut in case some got lost. Of course
when you have spares you do not need them.
Attachments
pin jig with correct pin centers
pin jig with correct pin centers
IMG_20200608_081919.jpg
IMG_20200608_082244.jpg
IMG_20200608_082325.jpg
assembled blade
assembled blade
3D printed arms with bushes
3D printed arms with bushes
Air brake units completed
Air brake units completed
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

The LH wing spar was pre-assembled, and secured to the building base. the webbing have little supports so the spar is at the correct height above the board.
The ribs have the same supports so all will be nice and straight.
Attachments
IMG_20200609_152220.jpg
IMG_20200609_163909.jpg
IMG_20200609_163916.jpg
IMG_20200609_163927.jpg