• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

TYPE 13 PETREL 1/4 SCALE**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
andynrose315

Re: TYPE 13 PETREL 1/4 SCALE

Post by andynrose315 »

Chris - many thanks for the pictures and parts. Much appreciated. Moving steadily forward - AMT was not so bad after all! I am now at the stage of adding the ply to the top of the fuselage. Made a template, - now thinking best way of gluing and holding in place. are the spring clamps the best way- looking at your photos you have Uk stock of spring clamps it seems. I dont have as many so unfortunately but could use masking tape.Presume best to fit in one piece in one go. Any advice would be appreciated........Andy
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Andy, a bit of pre-bending always goes a long way... Tape it into a curve; wet it up, and iron it dry... (You won't get that much of a curve but every little helps) Tape is good, of course, but in my pre-clamp days I always found it beneficial to raid the missus's store of clothes pegs.
P1050875.jpg
06290003.jpg
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

Chris. okay. went with the clothes pegs with the help of a hardwood strip. Ply was prebent as recommended. Glad adhesive is not fast setting. Excuse the messy table. Got there in the end. Thought is worse than putting it together. Andy.
63A8A5FE-66C3-4963-8258-0654C9840919.jpeg
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

From my (very) limited experience with doing this, I drill a 2mm hole through the centre of the ply at each end, into the former , and put a cocktail stick in when gluing. That stops the ply sliding around on the glue, while you are clamping it down.

Hope that helps.

BC
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Also, for stubborn bits, one or two small screws can be helpful...
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Alternatively, you could use the PVA and hot iron method. See links to video tutorial below. The video shows wing sheeting around a much smaller radius than a fuselage but the technique is exactly the same but start in the middle of the sheet and attach to a longeron and then work down both sides.

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/construc ... _tips.html

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

thank you for the guidance. Managed in the most with 0.8mm ply. dropped to 0.6 in the tail. i am now starting the wings and have a question when the sub leading edge is applied and if it is split at the gull break. Chris the photos sent through suggest it’s fitted when on the flat, then lifted onto the supports. can’t quite make out if the sub LE is in two at that point. i.e joined following lifting on to the supports. Andy
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

I can't either, and I certainly can't remember! Cut the LE with a pair of scissors at the break (having not applied any glue to the front of that rib) before lifting on to the jigging supports and re-glue...?
SedB

Post by SedB »

chris williams wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:47 Image

The wing joiner boxes are 16mm & 13mm respectively. The all-important sub spar is let in against the ply web plates on the front of the main spar (10 minute job per spar)
The sheeting will be 1.5mm hard balsa..
Anyone for a shop where I can get both these brass boxes and a the steel joiner at the same place? Here in the Netherlands I find it difficult to find a shop who sell both online.

Daniel
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

SedB, the 2 sizes are the outside dimensions of the brass tubes that hold 12x2mm & 15x2mm steel joiner strips.
The brass tubes are 13x3 & 16x3mm respectively.
Gliders Distribution in the U K stock both (sold as 1m lengths normally, but I don’t know if they are able to ship to the Netherlands, or maybe there is a supplier on your side of the English Channel.