• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Scratch built Pilatus B4 to 1/4 scale.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Scratch built Pilatus B4 to 1/4 scale.

Post by VinceC »

Nice work as usual Brian. Just to give you some encouragement, here is a full size in distress. The Main spar failed during aeros after the pilot overstressed the aircraft. He bailed out safely
Attachments
F-CINH_1.jpg
F-CINH_2.jpg
F-CINH_3.jpg
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks for that Vince, just the encouragement that I needed while building wings!

I have now added the trailing edge of the wing. The lower surface has a 1/16 ply strip ½ inch wide attached to the balsa sheeting to provide a tougher edge. It also allows me to sand the trailing edge down to a fine edge (photo one)
The upper surface is 3/32 balsa with the rear underside sanded to a fine taper. This allows me to replicate the fine undercamber of the HQ3.5/14 wing section (photo two). The upper and lower trailing edges are clamped together between two steel straight edges which should give me a good straight structure when the aliphatic glue sets.
I have added a photo of my workshop as just I have left it which should dispel some of my super tidy image. This is how things usually look while I'm working and before the daily tidy up.
Brian.
Attachments
Lower trailing edge in place.
Lower trailing edge in place.
Top sheeting added and clamped up.
Top sheeting added and clamped up.
What my workbench usually looks like.
What my workbench usually looks like.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Utter carnage. :o You should be ashamed.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

If I post a picture of mine, I think you'd probably suffer some sort of seizure Brian...
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Jolly Roger wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 15:53 Utter carnage. :o You should be ashamed.
Agreed, but at least the pins in the wing are colour co-ordinated (and no doubt Brian will be on any time soon with a logical explanation for that).
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

No Problem Robbie!
The pink/purple pins are old and a little blunt and bent. There are not enough green pins to place one in each rib, therefor the blue pins have been used to fix the sheet to the spar. However there are not enough blue pins left to complete the job therefor the new yellow pins were used to hold down the centre of the sheeting to the ribs. Schimples!
Brian. :D :D :D :D :D
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

I knew I shouldn't have asked........................
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The left hand wing is now complete but I am just waiting on a wood delivery before I start on the right hand wing. (must Remember – Right Hand, Right Hand......)
This morning I have installed the mounts for the rudder and aerotow release servos. I cut and joined two chunks of orange/pink foam for the canopy moulding. That was then temporarily fitted to the fuselage and then attacked with a large rasp. Using a selection of less and less abrasive sand papers I have now reduced the foam to something approximating the finished canopy shape.
Also bearing in mind that I have also planted my peas and sown cabbage, Brussels sprouts and kale for next winter, that’s not a bad mornings work.
Brian. :) :) :)
Attachments
Rudder and aerotow servos in place.
Rudder and aerotow servos in place.
Fuselage plus a large chunk of foam.
Fuselage plus a large chunk of foam.
Almost a canopy moulding.
Almost a canopy moulding.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The canopy glazing tool is now ready to be sent off to Sarik to have a couple of canopies pulled. The mottled appearance is due to me making minor adjustments to the shape by judicious skims of filler followed by careful use of various grades of wet and dry paper. I spent a lot of time going over it filling tiny pin holes. Final sanding with 400/800/1200 wet and dry paper has given a nice smooth finish. I suspect that there will probably be a few minor imperfections in the final pulled canopy but as they say “at 500 ft who will ever notice”.
I have also received a very nice 3D printed instrument panel from Cliff Evans (thanks Cliff) which will adorn the finished cockpit.
Brian. :) :) :)
Attachments
The completed tool ready for pulling the glazing.
The completed tool ready for pulling the glazing.
3D printed panel from Cliff.
3D printed panel from Cliff.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have now started the build of the right hand wing. The completed left hand wing was built inverted on the plan of the right hand wing therefore logically the right hand wing is built inverted over the plan for the left hand wing. Straightforward right? No Left? Confusing isn’t it?
Brian. :D :D :D
Attachments
R/H hand wing panel built over the L/H wing plan!!!
R/H hand wing panel built over the L/H wing plan!!!