• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

COVID-19 guidlines

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Antonia

Re: COVID-19 guidlines

Post by Antonia »

Damm autocorrect!... :lol: :lol:

Corrections applied....
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

It still looks like most of us can still not go flying. Most of us use NT land and some clubs are not opening around me yet. Has a windsurfer as well it's the same the government says yes but my own spots rutland water and portland say they are not opening yet.
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

I think there are a number of different issues here:
1) The government seems to be moving from a clear 'lockdown' message to a 'here are some principles... use your common sense to interpret these in your local context' situation - this makes sense as there are clearly far to many variables to be able to give guidance in every situation. Even the poor BMFA are facing so many situations - some clubs have club houses, some fly indoors etc. As long as we stay 2 meters apart, they seem to be generally endorsing flying. I can also see that although we don't want bad publicity, I don't think the government is too bothered about us - I think they are much more worried about public transport.
2) With regard to National Trust, most of their properties have been closed (stately homes) etc and I can see that they want a controlled return to access but most places in the open country (like St Agnes Head) have been open throughout so I'm not sure there is a problem.
3) With regard to drones, I think we have had a look at this before - when the NT say 'drones' they actually mean multi-rotors. Unfortuneatly they can't now say 'we like gliders but not multi-rotors' and I know that technically our gliders are drones but that is not their thinking - we have had this discussion with the ranger down here in Cornwall and it is clear that we are OK and multirotors are not! I think they are trying to avoid idiots going to currys, buying a 'drone' and harassing a local beauty spot.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I sent Antonia's post to Manny at the BMFA, here is his reply:-

Afternoon Barry

Thank you for your note.

The NT already recognise the distinction between drones and model aircraft and there is a national agreement for model flying on National Trust land (subject to occasional local considerations)

The page does not mention model aircraft (although the reference to Unmanned Aerial Vehicles is unfortunate and out of date)

I am not aware that anything has changed at White Horse Hill.

If model flyers there are challenged then it will need referring back to Dave Phipps as he was involved with the NT when the agreement was discussed.

Kind regards

Manny Williamson

Development Officer
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Thanks for that Barry.. not that I was going to go away ;) :D
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

It would seem that the signs up at White Sheet, asking people to stay away, have been removed....
terry white

Post by terry white »

afternoon fellow flyers, Last year while flying at Ringstead Bay, a N.T. warden descended on us and said that there was a new ruling just filtered down from the N.T. head quarters to those that had to implement it.This was exactly as Antonia found on their web site. He went on to say that he was not so bombastic as to make us leave there and then but when we did leave not to come back. As Ringstead is a favorite flying slope for us I decided to take this up with the N.T. directly.
What I found was disheartening.It seems that the local rangers to the N.T. sites have all received a notification almost to the letter of Antonia's link to the N.T. They in turn interpret what they wish of it.When speaking to them it was very apparent that most were looking at it from a safety point of view. Items 2 and 4 state that they have now a blanket ban on all unmanned aircraft (not just drones but all unmanned aircraft) because 'as well as a number of other things listed' "We can not be sure we are not over-flying other roaming/dog walking people that they have welcomed on to their land."That seems to be the main issue here. The possible intermingling with others of the public giving rise to a safety issue.It seemed to mater not one jot that there is a large difference between a drone or a model aircraft as far as they are concerned it can still fall out of the sky onto your head and create an insurance claim against them for allowing the situation to arise. To say nothing of the poor sole with a head ache.
I am pleased to learn from Manny that there has been discussions with the N.T. and Dave Phillips of the BMFA regarding the differences between drones and model aircraft, however I would also urge him to make sure that the powers to be have told their staff because at this moment in time nothing has changed from the above and if we are not careful it never will. Terry
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

If you are really bored of not flying your models, this guy found a way out. The gif clip may take a few seconds to get going
Attachments
DentalBreakableHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif
DentalBreakableHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif (4.26 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

chris williams wrote: 13 May 2020, 14:53 It would seem that the signs up at White Sheet, asking people to stay away, have been removed....
Any more confirmation / info re this Chris (9 day son from your post)? (Couple of nice westerly days this weekend)

M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Yes, flying (with appropriate measures) has recommenced... Or, it would, if I had remembered my tranny!
Attachments
P1280197 copy.jpg