• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

First scale project questions

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Dave still

First scale project questions

Post by Dave still »

I am looking for a scale build for next winter I like to plan ahead so I can get bits and Bob's up together, the main project this year is to learn to slope fly.
I have seen a couple of designs I like the look of the Spalinger S18 II and Slingsby Petrel I would get a laser cut set for which ever I choose. My first question is would either be suitable for first scale?. They both have gul wings do they present a problem to build?

Dave
Cliff Evans

Re: First scale project questions

Post by Cliff Evans »

Either of the gliders you have selected would be good, however, the Petrel is probably your best bet as there is plenty of info available on the build here and it is a proven flyer! The designer is also a prominent member here and always very helpful. I can supply both kits when you make your decision. Sarik Hobbies in all fairness can also supply the Petrel. Up to you where you decide to buy from. Good luck
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Dave still

Post by Dave still »

Thank you I will read some build threads etc. But the Petrel is probably favourite at the moment.

Dave
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Hi Dave - welcome to the forum.

Cliff and Jiles did a very nice kit for me of the Spalinger S18 11 (or, was it the 111 ?) anyway, the 'low-gull' version.

This was based on an old Radio Modeller plan (RM 404) which they brought up-to-date and incorporated several mod's...

I'm just about to start the build, much delayed by other projects ! Will probably start a build thread too if I can.

Good luck with whichever you decide on.

Dave C
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

When you say 'learn to slope fly', do I assume you already fly R/C?
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Yes, I would add to Vince's comments that 'learning to fly' on the slopes with a scale glider is not the best place to start...

Of course, if you are already an experienced slope flyer then, there can always be a first scale model to extend your learning....even so, I would have someone experienced in scale gliding to hand for the first few flights even if it's just to check CG, trims etc.

When they drop a wing on the approach, there's not much time to sort it out before the inevitable contest between hill-side and model occurs !
MDev

Post by MDev »

I decided that I would learn to fly, I brought a Zagi wing and a 2.9m mouldie, everyone thought I was mad but it was my incentive and I’ve been flying it for years. Learn on the slopes and aim for the skies. No harm in learning to build at the same time?

M
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Hmm, Zagis usually bounce. Mouldies - not sure. I expect it depends on how they're constructed and how hard the impact is...

Most 'traditionally-built' scale gliders will break something if they cartwheel - very easy to do on the slope in blustery conditions.

I would recommend EPP construction to learn on. My "Wildthing" has bent a dog-stake through 20 degrees, been bounced off chimney pots and been through an electric fence all with minimal damage to the model. It's also easy to fly, aerobatic (except maybe proper stall turns). The only drawback is the "Corex" elevons and fin which will start to crumble after about ten years use....easily replaced with balsa and carbon reinforcement though.

Just my observations and experience,
Dave
Dave still

Post by Dave still »

VinceC wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 08:42 When you say 'learn to slope fly', do I assume you already fly R/C?
Yes I already fly but not off a slope yet I have built one of phoenix model products models to learn with the idea being over to build a scale job for aero tow and slope next year but having not had much opportunity to get out this year plans may be put back.

Dave
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Dave

I found an electric 'floater' very suitable for the calmer slope days. Mine's a 6-footer, polyhedral type wing with a folding prop.

You can have fun chasing thermals, climb back up again when you fall out, and generally have plenty of time to practice a circuit and landing.

The prop' can also be used as a sort of airbrake on approach. When at low revs, it will generate lots of drag if you're a little too high...Just remember to chop the power before touch down !

Happy sloping