• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Scratch built Pilatus B4 to 1/4 scale.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Antonia

Re: Scratch built Pilatus B4 to 1/4 scale.

Post by Antonia »

Looks brilliant Brian, look forward to seeing it in person, got to bring it to Buckminster :)
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks for the nice comments boys and girl, they are much appreciated. As I said before this is one model which has been dragged, kicking and screaming into the world - it's been a difficult build at times. There is still the buttock clenching maiden flight to deal with.
Hopefully, all being well, the B4 may make it's first public appearance at Buckminster (see you there Antonia, but no cuddles this time!). As to the last photo, that is only a cardboard cut-out - I am much prettier in real life! Honest!
Brian. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Well goodness gracious me, IT FLIES!
This afternoon the weather was perfect for the maiden flights of the Pilatus B4. The wind was a steady 18mph gusting 22mph, directly onto my local west facing slope, and as a bonus the sun was shining.
Despite my worries the first flight was a total non-event; I have seldom had an easier first flight. The elevator required four clicks of down trim (to compensate for the four clicks of up trim I had added “just in case”), the other trims needed no adjustment at all. After ten minutes I landed and increased the aileron differential to 60%, reduced the throw on the elevators as well as the volume of brake/elevator mixing. I also took a 36gm chunk of lead out of the nose.
On the second flight the model was flying as if on rails and responding well to patches of thermal lift. The stall was straight as a die with no tip stall what so ever. Turns could be made wide or pulled as tight as I liked. Landings were easy and I was able to park the model exactly where I wanted.
On the third flight my hooligan instincts took control and I can report that the B4 is very capable of all the usual manoeuvres and I was pleased to see that the model carries loads of momentum.
I am now looking forward to my next visit to the slope with my Pilatus!
Brian. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Attachments
Checking.
Checking.
Launching.
Launching.
Cruising.
Cruising.
Also cruising.
Also cruising.
Low pass>
Low pass>
Tight turns on a wingtip.
Tight turns on a wingtip.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Good job, Brian...! ;)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Well done Brian.
I’m glad all went well :)
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Top job Brian.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Wel done Brian, it looks gorgeous :)
It must have been national Pilatus B4 day, Mel's B4 got an outing the same day, first time in three years ;)
paulj

Post by paulj »

Fantastic - congratulations!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Fantastic job Brian, up to your usual high standard.

Love the colour scheme and the upholstery, but where's the pilot?
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks very much for that generous round of applause, it is very much appreciated. It doesn't have a pilot as yet as I am a rubbish sculptor and too mean to buy one of the expensive dolls that are available. (I can buy the materials for a new model for the price of a good pilot figure!). :shock:
I am considering making a profile figure of me to stick in the seat so that the cockpit looks filled whilst in the air. ;)
Brian. :) :) :)