• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/4 Scale Salto**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
roo Hawkins

Re: 1/4 Scale Salto

Post by roo Hawkins »

Hi Peter I am planning to do brakes like the full size. .I have already cut the wings today out of blue foam but have not decided on the spar yet. I am planning on not trying to make it to heavy so I can take to some of the smaller slopes near to me. I was planning on using round joiners but I have some flat joiner around so may use some of that if I think it will be to heavy. A mate has a 1/3 salto with a single flat joiner and that flys around ok with no problems and is in rcme this month.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Carbon joiner & forward incidence peg tubes fitted (4mm carbon rod joiner & peg) and support added prior to fitting the top sheeting.
Staggered main joiner locations can be seen in the pic.

Meanwhile, additional brake blade end ribs have been added to the 1st wing & brake blade lower surface seats extended to each end of each blade, plus extra rib doublers added each side of the taper break rib. (Pic to follow).
The current plan is to fit a short section of upper wing skin between the TE and rear Aux. spar so that the upper part of the brake blades can be partially released prior to installing similar partial rear skin on the bottom.
The idea is to try to ensure that the brake blade profiles match the adjoining wing surface, but can still be released easily for final tidying etc. prior to hinging & servo drive installation.
EE5BE22F-9394-458C-9D59-C92066A29C50.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Forgot to take a photo of the extra brake end riblets before moving on, but covered in photos below.
A section of top skin has been fitted up to halfway across the rear aux. spar & brake cut line marked onto this.
(I probably could of fitted the complete top skin, or at least the inner section, but wanted to keep the brake servo area clear until I am confident that the brake removal & hinging method will work on this first build).
Once the skin glue has fully set, I will confirm upper cut lines are correct by using a small drill bit pushed through from below at the corners before releasing the brake end riblets at the front of each blade. In reality, I can probably completely remove the brake structures at this point & skin the lower sections separately.

Meanwhile, the 1st tailplane half has had it’s top skin fitted & a thin-wing servo tried for size. A similar fitting technique could be used for other servo types as long as the thickness is not more than 11mm in order to keep the servo casing under the bottom skin.
Brake end riblets
Brake end riblets
Brake upper edges?
Brake upper edges?
Tailplane servo location
Tailplane servo location
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

With the rear section of lower skin in place (after carefully masking off the lower blade contact area with the internal support) the blades have now been carefully removed.
In retrospect, the blades could have done with some internal support at their upper LE before skinning, but this can easily be added now they have been released.
The photos below show the freshly released blades. The yellow bands are the thin glossy finish tape used as a release layer for the lower front section of each blade.
663B3FD1-5395-46DD-887B-C6FE798D1D35.jpeg
1904903F-90C8-4E3C-B894-4E2CF955A4FE.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

A bit more progress on the tail feathers with the LE strip added & control surfaces plus tip blocks tack glued to the forward sections so that everything can be sanded to profile.
I’ve also decided to fit 9g MG servos instead of the drawn 21g thin wing mini types to save weight at the back end. Thus the internal servo mount plate has been modified slightly & the hatch size reduced. (Hatch aperture to be cut out once lower skin patch glue has set).
I still need to make servo a connector slot at each root, but the next job will be to separate the (aerodynamic balance) tip sections prior to removing the control surfaces again in order to bevel the LE.
B22D7DF5-4D90-4D0D-B1D2-AFEA989D5FA3.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Tailplane halves now have tips sorted & edges faced with 0.4mm ply.
Servo box aperture resized for the smaller size servo, ready to have some small internal location blocks fitted & connector aperture made in the root.
D1A2B56D-25C6-4474-B548-5ED174320DC6.jpeg
Meanwhile brake assembly hinging has started on the 1st wing. Inner blade dry fitted & checked for free movement.
CB676E04-E7C1-425D-A7FE-7BD4EE4C7DD4.jpeg
7808CBF2-5241-4C94-927B-93618BCD1875.jpeg
Outer brake has also now been hinged, so time to look at servo linkage to the inner blade which will be hard linked to the outer blade via the central pivot tube.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Tailplane joiners now installed in the fuselage (using a small liteply plate at the end of each tube to help anchor it to the fuselage), plus holes drilled for front incidence pegs, so trial installation done.

Brake servo connection also done & operation checked. Hopefully, the operation is just as good when both blades are linked together.
FF504CD4-DE06-4E72-9F47-1ECE86FDCD68.jpeg
26AFEFB3-CC5D-41B1-A4F1-EBFFEC1BFF5A.jpeg
1844F297-DF66-413A-961F-8E0378A98DE2.jpeg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Short video attached showing the inner Brake blade operation.
Note that the clamps are there to hold the pivot tubes in place until I am confident enough to break out the epoxy ;)

With brake operation accomplished, I can complete the wing skinning.

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Looking good Peter. I have just made the brakes for my salto but mine are hinged with glass tape but looks the same as your. Will have to post pictures.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Pictures of my build
20200810_143026.jpg